Chapter 1

Emerging from his office Captain James Arlo nodded to himself. He was at the center of everyone's focus. He needed to be the center of attention and all eyes were on him. Squadron One was the Elite force in Katomo. Captain Arlo trusted each one of these men. They had proven themselves in countless battles and missions. Counting all thirty-two of his squadron Captain James Arlo spoke up. "Elite, this will probably be the shortest brief of your life. How many of you have been on a Hunt?"

One had raised towards the back of the room as a crisp voice rung out. "I have" Everyone else in the Elite shook their heads. None of them had participated in a Hunt before. That wasn't surprising.

Arlo grinned at his comrade. The two of them had been on the last Hunt together. Because of that they had both secured top spots in the central Sector. Arlo was promoted to Captain of the Guard and Caleb Jackson was second in command. Back in boot camp they had been bunk mates. Only fate had dragged Captain Arlo into that forsaken jungle. Commander Jackson stayed in Sector 8 with the intents of eliminating mass rioting. With these successes they had been promoted by the Crown.

"Alright listen up, Inmate 3289 has escaped from Tadmor. Don't ask me how it happened - we will figure that out later" A few hands shrank back to their sides. "A Hunt means that we stop at no cost to stop his flight. If you cannot apprehend Inmate 3289 you are cleared to kill on sight. Got that?"

A chorus of "Yes Captain" and head nods confirming the gravity of the situation. Kill on Sight orders were reserved solely for traitors to the Crown.

Captain Arlo continued "Inmate 3289 responds to Callum or the Beast. His new name that you will refer to him as is Target Two. He is 180 cm tall and weighs 70 kg. This was the last picture taken of him."

Eyes flicked over to the hanging screen quickly trying to memorize the features of Target Two. 180 centimeters would put him at about the height of Captain Arlo - if not a little shorter. His clear cut jaw and unkempt, sandy hair would be difficult to spot on the streets. The majority of citizens were blonde. The most prominent feature were his eyes - an icy silver. There would be no mistaking on who Target Two was by looking him in the eyes. Without a hint of color those eyes would betray him. On the arm holding the numbered plaque he had a tattoo of an orca and a parrot intricately intertwined. These types of designs were rare and generally known as Manaia. This photo of Target Two would be broadcasted onto every screen in Katomo; making him the most wanted criminal in history. At least the mug shot wouldn't be on his obituary yet - unless he didn't come in peacefully.

Attention snapped back to the Captain when he turned off the screen. "Civilian casualties are permitted. No one escapes from the Crown." With that, all seventeen sectors were on the Hunt for Target Two. The odds of his escape were close to zero.

Target Two left Central Tadmor fifteen minutes ago which meant we needed to make up for fifteen minutes of lost time. Briefing the Elite ensured that civilian casualties would be lessened. They would enlighten their corresponding Sector's on the Hunt order. Being an Elite didn't mean that you would only work in the Central Sector. Each Sector's Guard was managed by two Elites. When an Elite told you what to do, you would do it. It was the perfect system. If only they still had the Crown to unite them - the division was deepening without it. The heart had been ripped out of Tadmor the day Target One had escaped.

Spinning on his heels Captain Arlo headed into his office to make an announcement over the central system. He would join the Hunt once the media was on board. Until then the Elite would be on the trail of Target Two.

"I really don't want to have to deal with the press" Sighing he opened the heavy oak doors, his attention shifting to a rustle of papers inside. Hair rising on the back of his neck Arlo knew he wasn't alone. No one had clearance to be in his office. "I know you're in here. Come out!"