Chapter 16

"Mom...mom...I'm getting up...stop it..."

I rolled onto my side and blinked my bleary eyes. I had a dream that I was back home again. The field was just about ready for the harvest. The tips of the wheat where dusted white; attempting to paint clouds into the vast expanse of blue. A small speck circled high above our little house. Our resident Morepork owl called softly from my nearby treehouse. My family needed me. From the way my mom shook me I knew it was urgent. As I sat there I couldn't shake the sense of unease.

"What the..."

Rubbing my eyes I stared at the pile of green next to me. It shook and water sprayed onto my nose.

"Hooo. Hooo."

"What are you?"

"Hooo. Hooo."

Sitting before me was the strangest animal I have ever seen. Green plumage was faintly covered by dark dappling. It had the face of an owl, posture of a penguin, and it was approaching me like a duck. I understood the need to waddle as the bird could barely support itself on its two tan legs. The creature must have weighed 3 kg. It was larger than the average puppy. On top of that its call was a low, booming sound. If I had an empty milk bottle I could mimic it by blowing across the top.

"Hooo?"

"ARGH!"

I stood up in surprise. While trying to understand the owl-parrot he had waddled into my lap. My sudden movement should have sent him flying. Instead he stood tall, turned tail, and raced behind the nearest rock.

"I can still see you!"

The bird ducked his head, causing his excess feathers to plump out from the edges of the rock.

"Nope. That did not help in the slightest."

His head peeked up at me. He was actually quite adorable. Piper would love him.

"I'm sorry for scaring you," moving to my knees I stared him in the eyes, "will you come meet my friend?"

The fluff ball cawed in return, ran towards me, and carefully touched his beak to my nose. I took that as a yes. Scooping him up in my arms I almost toppled over backwards. Grunting I held him at eye level.

"You are hefty!"

"Hooo?"

"You! I bet you weigh 5kg," laughing I secured him under my arm, "I'll carry you through the tunnel. It's a bit too dark for you to waddle through."

Buddy must have scented the musty bird as we made our way towards the main cavern. It was hard to miss. He smelled like Matua's favorite jacket. Barking at the entrance, Buddy ran in circles and tried to lick the fluff ball. In my efforts to protect the bird I held him high above my head.

"You found a Kākāpō!!!" Piper sprinted towards me, arms spread wide.

"This fluffy green bird? I brought it here for you." The borzoi laid at my feet. His tail thumped the ground energetically.

Carefully lowering the green mass to the floor he waddled towards Buddy. Buddy lay still—his tail even ceased to twitch. Just as he had done to me, the bird touched noises with the dog. They locked eyes for a moment before playfully running, and waddling, in a circle. Crouching down Piper cooed at the feathered beast. To which the thing waddled as quickly as he could, hiding behind my calves. Piper laughed as his extra plumage fluffed outwards.

"I guess he's claimed you as his own!"

"How do you know it's a he? Also, what is a Kākāpō?" I bent over to scratch the top of its head.