Chapter 5

After learning my name James took on a cruel smile. With a nod two guards entered the room. The chubby man was holding a tablet, the lanky guy had a donut. Behind them was a slender woman with a measuring tape and a lab coat. Ignoring me she address James.

"Captain, what's the subject's name?" Her voice was smooth and lilting.

"Dr. Gentri, this is Target Two." James was curiously polite.

"Oh honey, I need his civilian name too."

"Street name is the Beast, birth record should be under Callum Edwards."

"Age?" She seemed intrigued.

"He turned 18 today."

Her glasses flashed in the lights and I wished she wouldn't give me recognition. Cooing softly she peered over them at me. "My, my. Callum Edwards you will never forget this birthday."

I looked to James as a shiver ran down my spine. There was fear in his eyes. No one else noticed. It was the same look he gave me as he held me three stories off the ground. He told me I wasn't allowed to die. So far I could trust that statement but I didn't trust the doctor. She snapped her fingers and Mr. Chubby handed her the tablet. Mr. Lanky shoved the donut into his mouth and stood at the ready while Mr. Chubby spoke.

"Here is his civilian file. Callum Edwards, 18, no job, no significant other, no living relatives."

Dr. Gentri clicked her tongue. "Boys, I believe that we trapped a lone wolf. Let's see if he knows any tricks."

With a snap of her fingers the two guards pulled me to my feet and dragged me after the tap of her heels. No matter how much I bucked and kicked their grips didn't loosen. James wouldn't look at me as they took me into the hall. The door shut before I could give him a piece of my mind. I couldn't find any traction and found myself being dragged backwards through the white halls. There was a beep as Dr. Gentri scanned her I.D. across a sensor. I peered at the sensor in time to see it flash red. She swiped her card again. It flashed red. "Boys, why am I not cleared for my own lab?" Mr. Lanky walked over to try his I.D. and received a red flash. He motioned for Mr. Chubby. All three of them stood there taking turns with their cards. I looked up and down the hall. No one was watching me. I stood and took a step backwards. I was met with more red flashes. One step, two steps, three steps. I was ten paces away when the doctor saw me. Our eyes locked and I started to run. My feet had no traction and for a split second I was running in place. With a flash I was around the corner. I took two lefts and a right before hitting a dead end. Tap, tap, tap. I shoved my shoulder into four doors before one slid open.

It was dark inside. I quietly searched for a light switch. A chord brushed past my ear and I yanked on it with my teeth. It is surprisingly difficult to get around with handcuffs. A dull yellow glow illuminated the small space. It felt like I had stepped back in time. Outside the surfaces were flawless and white but in here there were fingernail scratches on the dim, stone walls. A small mat and pillow laid in the corner; a chain curled up on the pillow. I fell backwards at the sight of the silver table and accompanying chair. The arm rests and legs were fitted with stained, leather restraints. The faint tapping of heels stopped, replaced by a shrill laugh.

"It seems as if our little wolf has found his den. You put on quite the show Target Two," the doctor reached around my neck and clipped on something cold, "but my dogs aren't allowed to run away."

With a yank I was dragged by my neck into the hall. Did she really just put a dog collar on me? I was in trouble. I tried to reach up to feel it and stopped when the cuffs rubbed my cuts. Yikes that stings. She led me back towards the lab, the guards didn't even bother touching me. I wonder why. There were technicians at the stubborn door. With a hiss the pneumatic lock released and the door opened.