September 10, 1985

September 10, 1985

Are you telling me that I am stiff as a tree? This is very horrendous! But Yongbok, do you remember the time that I invited you to dance with me when the jukebox started playing in our living room? You're a very bad dancer. I hate you too by the way (I actually don't).

My overalls were one of my best clothes and you keep on making fun of it. Don't act like you didn't accept the other pair of my red shoes nor think that my hair looked good on me! I remember sharing my candies with you, Yongbok (no, you can't make me stop calling you Yongbok), and the fact that you ran to Chan-hyung when I did. Now I know that you ran because you hated my smile.

In this city, I rarely walk by myself. My dad usually picks me up because he said it'll be dangerous for a boy like me to roam. I'm already a big boy! How about you? Did you get taller? Please don't think I'm joking around with you... I really just want to know! I look around in my classroom sometimes and try to find someone that will resemble you. I failed.

The only friend I have here is Seungmin. He's been living in this place since the day he was born and moves around like he's some sort of a prince. Maybe I should ask him if he is? I think he's a friend of mine because we spend lunch time together and he gives me a part of his smoked fish. I don't drink cola, okay? I take care of myself too!

What do you learn in school aside from the decimal numbers? I am actually very interested now in science! My teacher talks about the part of the heart and how it is divided to 4? She asked us to draw it and I did it! Of course, I couldn't draw it the way the textbooks look like, but I am very very proud of my drawing. I think I colored them well with colored pencils and traced the outline with a small marker that I bought from the local downstore near our household.

Yongbok, please do not drink cola. Your mom is right, you'll get air bubbles in your tummy and I wouldn't be there to poke them! Your birthday will be coming soon... and I won't be there. But don't worry Yongbok, in the next coming years, I'll make sure that I'll be there with you to celebrate it with lots of candies, chocolate bars, and cake!

Orange juice is still my favorite and I know you learned to like it because of me. But these days, I tasted the city apple juice, and wow! They're so different from what I am used to. It's quite sweet and not overwhelming. My mom said it isn't pure, but I don't care! I like it. Grocery stores are definitely bigger but the goods are more expensive. There are still bottles, but the milk there is more flavorful. My school is huge and my school uniform looks like the people you see in newspapers. I can't say I hate it but I don't think I like it either. The weather is fine but I miss the sunny days that I get to spend with you.

I miss you too, Yongbok. I don't have anyone I can bring with me whenever I want to read comic books. Please do not hate my smile for far too long! You once told me that it was one of my greatest features. Did you grow to dislike me that much? Please send my regards to your mom, dad, and sisters! Tell Olivia to stop taking your walkman and finally ask for your permission (oops I said it). We will definitely meet soon.

Happy birthday, my dearest Yongbok. I should've sent this on your birthday, but I wanted it to come early by your doorstep.

Your friend,

Hyunjin