three

'y-y/n!?' he exclaimed in shock.

your parents looked at you and back at him.

'do you know our daughter?' your mum asked, a perplexed expression on her face.

'hi sir...' you said awkwardly, trying to hide the fact that your stomach kept lurching and filling with butterflies.

'yes she's one of my maths students! a very good one in fact!' he smiled brightly, seemingly over the initial shock.

was this real life!? how was it possible for such a coincidence to occur? you didn't know how to feel about this crazy situation.

'oh y/n is this your maths teacher?!' your mum asked, finally catching on.

you nodded, unsure of how to act in front of them.

'oh mr yamazaki we've heard lots about you!' your dad chuckled.

'only good things i hope! and please, call me kento.' he laughed, gesturing for you all to come inside.

kento. even his name was perfect.
a part of you wished you could call him by it too.

you followed your parents inside, passing mr yamazaki who was holding open the door. you held eye contact for a second, and immediately your heart started to beat faster.

he looked perfect as always, and you almost couldn't take yours eyes off his chiseled jawline or the cute mole he had on his upper right cheek. his hair was slightly damp and lightly parted, which made him look ten times more ravishing than he usually did - men always look hotter with wet hair. he had clearly put in effort for this lunch meeting.

this made your mind wonder again; what if he knew you were coming and wanted to impress you?
surely not, that was a crazy idea.

you brushed it off, smiling at him.
he smiled back and seemed to raise his eyebrows slightly in an unintentionally sexy way.
unless it was intentional?...

how on earth were you supposed to stomach any food now?

you followed your parents into the kitchen come dining room.
it was simple but had a homely vibe thanks to the small house plants decorating the window sill and a big vibrant flower bouquet in a vase on the centre of the wooden dining table. plates of all sorts of different foods covered the table, and there were four empty plates and sets of cutlery awaiting you. each dish looked mouth-wateringly delicious, of course he was good at cooking too. but unfortunately you were too anxious and filled with butterflies to work up an appetite.

'this looks lovely kento! did you make all of it?' your mother exclaimed.

'thank you! i made most of it but a few bits and bobs are from the supermarket.' he said humbly, gesturing for you all to sit down.

you were either going to have to sit next to, opposite or diagonally from mr yamazaki. opposite would probably be the most nerve-wracking and would make you act really awkward because you wouldn't be able to make eye contact with him. next to him would also be nerve-wracking because you would be quite close to him but you wouldn't be able to admire him because looking at him would be too obvious. diagonal would probably be most ideal.

but of course, in the time it took you to calculate all of this in your head, your parents sat down next to each other.
mr yamazaki walked over to the seat opposite your mum and pulled out the chair.

'y/n?' he smiled at you, gesturing for you to sit down.

you couldn't help but blush as you sat down.

what a gentleman! this felt like a date, apart from the fact that your parents were present.

'this strangely feels like some sort of informal parent-teacher meeting.' your dad chuckled.

'you're right!' mr yamazaki laughed 'well i really wanted to get to know you all as neighbours so maybe we should forget about my relationship to y/n for a bit.'

relationship?! obviously he meant how he was your teacher but it immediately took your brain to other places.

he glanced at you and smirked.

wtf????

were you just imagining things or was he actually subtly flirting with you?

you told yourself to stop dreaming; there was no way.

and so lunch began.

luckily your parents initiated most of the conversation with mr yamazaki, so you didn't have to talk much, and instead could focus on enjoying the small amount of food you managed to get down in his presence.

they talked about...well grown up stuff that wasn't of much interest to you.

that made you realise once more how prominent the age gap was between you two and how things would probably never work even if he did somehow reciprocate your feelings.

but every time he glanced in your direction his eyes seem to twinkle and it gave you hope.

of course, even if they were discussing rather dry topics related to mortgage or whatnot, everything sounded interesting coming out of his mouth.

you stared at him admiringly, started to smile without realising it.

'how's the food y/n?' suddenly mr yamazaki changed the topic to include you in the conversation, and looked right at you.

your face lit up.
'it's delicious!' you smiled, suddenly feeling anxious with his eyes on you as you were eating.

luckily you had only taken a small mouthful.

'glad to hear that!' he grinned.

time flew by and lunch was over before you knew it.

'thank you so much for such a lovely meal kento!' your mother exclaimed.

'it's my pleasure!'

your face darkened as you realised you would no longer be able to swoon over mr yamazaki while sitting less than a metre away from him.

the romantic tension you had felt in the air was probably just you being delusional and it was time for you to go home and get back to reality.

sighing quietly to yourself, you stood up and placed your plate in the sink.

'i also have a little something for dessert-' mr yamazaki began to walk over to the fridge when your mum interrupted him.

'oh gosh look at the time! i completely forgot that our new garden furniture is arriving at 2pm! i'm so sorry kento but i think we'll have to go and help the delivery men.' she exclaimed.

'oh that's not a problem! i could come and help you if you'd like?' he offered kindly.

this seemed too good to be true. there was no way he was this kind and polite. maybe he wanted to be around you more as well?...

'oh no no you've done enough by treating us to this wonderful meal! in fact i wish we could stay longer to help you clean up.' your dad sighed.

'y/n maybe you could stay behind and help him clean up the plates?' your mum suggested.

oh my god. alone with mr yamazaki in his house!?

he glanced at you almost as if he was signalling that he liked this idea too.

'that would be great but i don't want to keep her if she's busy.' he chuckled.

'you're not busy are you y/n?' your dad asked.

'n-no.' you said quietly, staring at the floor.

'perfect! well thank you so much once again for the delightful meal kento! you'll have to come round ours next time.'

your parents thanked him and he followed them to see them out.

and so you stood alone in the kitchen come dining room, awaiting his return, your heart beating so fast you could hear it in your ears.