Foundation of Love

Saroj walked towards them with a thaal of aarti and stood in front of them. Sayuri stares down at the floor as Saroj comes near them. Saroj starts doing the pooja as everyone looks at her in shock. She does the aarti like a robot as Sayuri and Kanha stare at her in amazement. Tears fell from Sayuri's eyes as Saroj completed the aarti. She hands over the thali to Kusum as takes the gift from her hand. Saroj looks at Kanha as she says, "Saal bhar mein bahot saari cheezo ho gayi hai. Bahot kuch khoya hai humne. Magar sabse jyada tareeki tune ki hai Kanha. Cheeru ki jagah koi nahi ke sakta magar, tune uske har farz ko nibhaya hai, chahe voh marzi se kiya ya zabardasti.", as she turns to look at Sayuri while saying the last word.

Sayuri lowers her head as tears brimmed in her eyes. Kanha frowned as he quickly held Sayuri's two fingers. Sayuri quickly looks up at him as she saw him looking straight at his mom. "Isiliye, yeh tere liye hai, tu hakdaar hai iska...", said Saroj as she proudly looked at her son. Sayuri smiled at Kanha between her tears as she saw him finally succeed in his mom's eyes. Sayuri was extremely proud of him as Saroj pulled his hand and was about to keep the gift on his hand, when he pulled it back. Saroj and everyone else looked at him with questioning eyes.

"Aur Sayuri ko kya milega maa?", asked Kanha as he looked at his mom with firm, decisive eyes. "Isse? Isse kyun kuch milega? Kiya kya hai isne humare liye?", shouted Saroj. Sayuri looked hurt as she didn't want this to happen. "Saath diya hai humara maa. Umeed di hai. Pyaar diya hai. Apna paseena, khoon, neend, haq sab diya hai, isne bhi. Mujhse jyada. Humne tou bas kaam sambhala. Haan yeh shaadi bhi chalai magar Sayuri ne tou yeh ghar, apna ghar, Dadu, Papa, Nakul, Kusum di, yahan tak ki aap ka bhi dhyan rakha hai, maa. Aur sirf yahi nahi. Humara bhi dhyan rakha hai. Hume kaam sikhaya, usme help ki. Hum tou kuch bhi keh dete the isse shuru mein maa, magar isne humara saath nahi choda maa, hum kaise iska haq chodwa de. Apna bhi kamaya. Apne ghar ke liye bhi sab kiya hai, akele. Agar bimar bhi padi tou kisi ko pata nahi chalne diya. Aap aise Sayuri ke saath nahi kar sakte. Agar hume kuch mil raha hai tou, barabar ka haq meri patni bhi rakhti hai. Aapne usse bahu mana ho ya nahi, voh ghar ki beti banke rahi hai.", said Kanha all in one go.

He respected her more than he loved her. And probably that's why the foundation of his love was that strong. Sayuri looked at him with loss of words. She never expected any recognition for what she did but listening it from Kanha's mouth was something she never thought would happen. She valued it more than anything else in the whole wide world. He cared for her, valued her and respected her. What more she could ever want. Saroj on the other hand just looked at her son blankly as she turned around in her heels and walked away.

Everyone was silent and numb. Kanha was still holding her two fingers when he felt some movement and saw her complete hand in his. She was looking at the floor as she shifted a bit close to her. Just a bit so that her forehead touched his shoulder. He smiled looking at her cuteness.