Prologue

Your POV

'Ack my lungs!'
I thought.
I was unsure but I must've ran for hours. That thing...

That thing that killed my younger siblings... It's still chasing after me, isn't it...?

The cold air stung my face and my half naked body, only my kimono protected me from the cold winter air as I ran bear foot down the mountain to the safety of the village.

Suddenly there was a crack behind me and by human instincts I turned around.

That was my biggest mistake this entire night.

The thing that attacked us was following me through the trees, as I saw it growing closer my panic started to grow and I managed to trip causing me to tumble down the mountain side.

As I tried to get up the monster had grown close enough to launch an attack pinning me to the ground.

'This is it...'
I thought.

The image of my younger siblings popped into my head.

If I had one regret in my life... It's that I couldn't see them grow into fine adults.

But now they're dead... And so am I well soon at least...

Why did I run?

Why didn't I stay?

Thoughts raised through my mind and the sudden wind that swept over me and my attacker snapped me back into reality.

I watched the monsters face morph into a face of terror and sadness.

Poor thing...

Then it's head landed beside me in the snow, and it's body collapsed onto mine.

The adrenaline soon left my body and I remembered my siblings. This caused me to pry the lifeless body of me and try to stand up.

"Ahaow"
I cried out in pain as I fell back to the ground.

I inspected my ankle and to my horror it was broken.

My cry of pain didn't go unnoticed though because soon I felt a warm haori drop over my shoulders.

I looked back causing me to go face to face with a man about my age.

He had a fairly large build and a scar on his forehead. What was more noticeable were his milky white eyes.

He's blind...

I pitied him for not being able to see the beauty of the world we lived in, yet still envied him...

He couldn't see the horrible monster that had chased me here.

"Hello, young one."
He said breaking the silence between us.

'Gods he has a deep voice..'

"He- Hello.."

'God dammit I don't normally stutter but it's understandable after what I've been through...'

"Do you have any injuries aside from your ankle...?"
He asked.

He sounded genuinely concerned about me..

"No... At least not that I know of..."
I answered truthfully.

"Wh-Who are you...?"
I continued.

I wanted to thank him for saving me but I need his name first.

"Himejima Gyomei. And you?"

So polite!

"(L/n) (Y/n)... Thank you for saving my life..."
I said sheepishly

"(Y/n).... What a beautiful name..."
He muttered to himself causing me to blush a little.

No one has ever said my name is beautiful aside from my parents and siblings who are all sadly gone now.

He then in a swift motion picked me up making sure he didn't hurt my ankle in the process.

"What.. What are you doing..?"

"I'm bringing you to the butterfly estate to treat your injuries."
He replied flatly and started walking.

I didn't protest.. It's not like I had someone to go home to either way.

Little did I know my life was going to take an unexpected turn from there.

596 words