PART ONE - Chapter Two

Sorryyyy I was meant to post this yesterday x

London, September Ninteen-Seventy-Eight

One.

The London branch of Gringotts bank was always busy, no matter the day of the week or time of year. Of course, August and December were its busiest times, when there were rushes for school supplies and Christmas presents. But other than that, there was always a steady flow of customers between eight o'clock and five o'clock.

When the bank doors were shut and locked, the business didn't stop there. While the dragons lay asleep in the belly of the city, and the chandeliers of the lobby glinted in the moonlight, high above all of this were the offices.

There was a floor for the stock market, where a huge chalkboard had bits of chalk and erasers flying around and changing the numbers, which were closely monitored by the statisticians, day and night. On another floor, you could walk along the corridor and look into each room, all of which were exactly the same save for the numbers on their brass plaques. Inside were fireplaces, four in each, and no matter the time you would always find one with someone's bottom sticking up, speaking to someone in Turkey, or America, or India, or some other such place.

Elsewhere in the building were classrooms, filled with witches and wizards or goblins, where complimentary lessons of English and Gobbldegook took place for their employees. Or perhaps on the floor above that, tucked away in a small corner, you may want to find Silvanna Snape, soot covering her nose, hair tousled, sleeves rolled up, and eyes magnifed by the huge, bug-eyed goggles she wore to protect them from her experiments.

She'd discovered when she arrived at Gringotts that there were plenty of projects to choose from in her department, plenty of reports to write. She could look into analysing the substances of the latest shipment from abroad, or complete some experimental work for one of the high-level researchers the bank employed. For the most part she had free regin practising Alchemy. And she loved it.

Today however, the clock was ticking closer and closer to eight o'clock. She'd been here nearly twelve hours. She didn't mind one bit, and she wasn't tired. But Evelyn would have her head if she knew. She sighed to herself as she cleared away her things with a swish of her wand, hanging her goggles and gloves on a hook by the door and cleaning over herself with a second wave of her wand.

Thank goodness for magic.

Her heels clicked on the polished marble, echoing around the abandoned lobby. Outside the sky was already dark, and she rolled her eyes before apparating to Whitechapel Manor House.

She opened the door as quietly as possible, not wanting to disturb anyone. If she was really careful she could make it into her room and not have to speak to anyone all-

"Look at the state of you." Evelyn scurried from the neighboring corridor, hands outstretched to wipe the muck from her face. She stood still and let it happen. "I don't like this job of yours, it's far too practical for an engaged young witch."

"If I can do it in heels then it's not practical enough."

"And what sort of time do you call this?" She indicated the clock hanging nearby.

"Well I only go in three days a week-"

"Which is plenty."

This woman made her veins itch. There was no other way to descibe the squirming, rigid sensation crawling through her body right now.

Evelyn smiled. "Go and wash and then come back down - I want to talk about wedding flowers with you. Do you need some dinner?"

"No thank you." Not if they were talking about the wedding; she'd regurgitate it.

*****

"Miss Snape? Your four o'clock appointment is here." She looked up at the Goblin that hovered in the doorway, a man with fluffy brown hair and twinking blue eyes behind him, with a neat briefcase and trim grey suit.

"Ah Monseiur Brancôt, do come in." She removed her gloves and balanced her goggles on her head. "Thank you Jabsnif. Would you close the door behind you please? Now I just wanted to talk about the report on these compounds. I know you have a very special method-" The door clunked shut. She put the papers down.

"That's a very smart ring, Silvanna," commented the voice of Professor Dumbledore. He sat down in her chair and opened a striped, paper bag of sweets, popping one in his mouth. He offered her the bag but she shook her head.

She fiddled with the ring. "I hate it," she admitted. "But hopefully I won't have to wear it much longer?"

"On the contrary, your letters become more useful by the week." Her heart sank a little. The sooner this was over, the better. She could move in with Marlene, go full time at Gringotts, finally be with her friends again... "You're one of the only reliable sources of information anybody has at present."

Again, she hesitated to speak. "Why did you request to see me, Professor?" She felt meek and sheepish, and a bit like a small child. She continued to twirl the ring around her finger.

"In part to check on you: I will continue to have somebody do so, but not always in this form, do you understand?" She nodded her thanks. "Good. And I also need to ask something of you? I thought it best to do it in-person."

"OK."

"Have you heard of the Order of the Phoenix?"

"Yes."

"I thought as much." He sucked on his sweet, pushing it into his cheek. "I'd like you to be an official member."

"Meaning?"

"Not much will change-" he began.

"I thought as much."

He chuckled. "You mentioned to me that groups of guests have begun disappearing from the events you attend for a while at a time? And then they come back?" She nodded. He closed his eyes briefly. "Well I'd like for you to start following them and see what they do. If you can get involved in any way-"

"I'll try my best, Professor. Was there anything else?"

Sensing his dismissal, he got to his feet, placing a hand on the door handle. "It was a pleasure to see you Silvanna. I'm sure we'll see each other soon."

"Keep safe."

"And Silvanna? Do look after yourself."

"Yes Sir."