001 Place Your Bets

chapter one / place your bets

      Ilyshah Tūrei sat at a booth in The Wreck with her cousin Lani, swirling her paper straw in a glass of aranciata pellegrino as ice clinked against the edges and condensation fogged at the sugared rim cool to the touch. Upon lifting her gaze, she found JJ Maybank's eyes already on hers a few booths over, catching a smirk in the groove of the straw as her cheeks went florid and her stare faltered away under his. As people weaved in and out of the bustling establishment, Kelce slinked through and took a seat beside Lani, snaking his arm around her shoulder and placing an audible kiss on her cheek that Ilyshah curled her lip at.

"So, why the hell are we here?" Kelce raised his arms. "We could be at The Island Club."

Ilyshah parted her lips from the straw. "If I have to third wheel it's only fair I get to choose where hell is, and this place has good kaimoana."

"Good what?"

"—Seafood," Lani interjected, then lifted an eyebrow at her. "Lysh just likes to speak te reo to confuse you."

    Kiara Carrera circled around their booth for a second time at the behest of her dad shouting from the front counter, a spiral notepad in her grasp and a resting bitch face planted on specially for the busy tourist season, or maybe just for Lani Tūrei.

"You guys ready to order any food?" asked Kiara in a monotone, bored voice.

"Sup Kie," Kelce put on a smug grin as Lani shifted in her seat. "How you been? Y'know, with your Pogues and all?" he asked cockily, earning an obnoxious giggle from Lani.

Ilyshah interrupted softly by clearing her throat. "Um, could I have your devilled crab with a side of hush puppies, please?" dragging her finger down the menu as Kie directed away her glare, jotting down her order. "And a peach iced tea, thanks."

"Sure, no problem," Kiara replied distractedly, turning back to Lani. "And let me guess, you'll have an acai bowl? Counting your calories for summer and everything?"

"Since it's the only thing not fried in this place, yeah," Lani retorted, resting her chin in her clasped fingers.

Kiara smirked. "Well, sorry to say we're sold out of them. Maybe you could try some originality for a change."

"Maybe you could try not being a bitch for once, Kie. I mean, is this any way to speak to your patrons?" Lani snidely stung back, and Ilyshah could sink into the earth to avoid the bitchfest. "We'll have a bowl of fries extra salt, and a top up of my guava juice."

   "Coming right up," Kiara rolled her eyes as she collected the menu, insults laced under her breath when walking off, hips swaying in her the light wash jeans.

Kelce let out a breathy laugh. "I'll be surprised if she doesn't spit in our food, Lans."

"Please, she wouldn't dare."