008 Bird of Curiosities

chapter eight / bird of curiosities

One thing Ilyshah noted when hanging around with Pogues, and in particular John B Routledge. Expect the unexpected.

    The last place Ilyshah expected to be wading through in her yellow mini dress intended for a refined occasion with the Fishers? Had to be following a rambling John B through the dirt covered tracks of a graveyard shrouded in mist, where the earth swallowed up the dead whole as their souls journeyed on through the veil, souls unreclaimed.

     Her free hand swatted at mosquitoes ready to feast on the flesh of her thigh as the other clutched a flashlight. She tried to capture her laughter rising through the back of her throat when JJ stumbled over the stray branches she expertly dodged but she couldn't help the one that escaped before finally, they reached their destination. A stony mausoleum crawled with vines, carrying the dead dolefully within its walls.

"This whole time I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place... It's a person."

"Voi-effing-là."

"See, my great-great-grandmother Olivia... Redfield. That was her maiden name."

The four simply stood there for a moment to take it in. What was he expecting to find here? And how the hell were they supposed to get in there? It seemed like there was no time for questions as John B rounded up JJ and Pope to take on the arduously foolish task of pushing the heavy stone door open.

     As the three collectively gave a chorus of strained groans, Ilyshah and Kiara watched on with a bemused level of disappointment. Then, at the sound of a hiss and the sight of a snake slithering out from the crack, she jumped back with a gasp like her heart was about to fall out of her chest.

"That's a moccasin, all right. Ye olde Dr. Cottonmouth! Death in tall grass," JJ broke into a taunting bark towards the snake before John B scolded him, matching the serpent's hiss.

"Is he usually like—"

"Yeah, he is," Pope nodded with Ilyshah as he continued to bark. "JJ, you're embarrassing yourself in front of our guest man, stop! Shut up. John B, look we're not gonna get in there, all right? It's not budging."

JJ panted as he folded his arms and posted up beside Ilyshah. "I was just trying to keep the snake away from y'all. They're afraid of dogs."

           "Okay, you can calm down now golden retriever. I think it's scared enough," She bantered, reaching up to pat his head twice as Kiara stepped forward, shining a light over the crack in the wall.