The Accident That Turned The Tables

Australia, December 3rd, 2021

The warmth of spring had faded to develop into the sweating hotness of summer. The air became more humid by each passing second, but there was someone who had much more humid air around his head.

A black mustang sped up in the freeways of Melbourne. The tinted windows made the speeding beast look calm, but inside the car utter chaos was taking place.

With the bluetooth connected to the car stereo, the jet black hair male was yelling to the person on other side of the call. With one hand clutched to the steering wheel and taking occasional bite from the half bitten sandwich he grabbed from his pantry (And only God knew if it was expired or not).

His eyebrows furrowed as the bitter taste appeared in the bite he took into his mouth. Without a second thought, he was ready to toss the sandwich onto the passenger seat when the blazer caught his eyes, reminding him about the meeting he should attend.

With the thought of getting his car cleaned up, he turned his head to the back, still replying to his call, and threw the sandwich to the backseat. He didn't realise that there was the truck coming from the side road, speeding towards him. He turned around, only to be jerked backward by the effect of truck crashing on to him. The car did a back flip and crashed into the road with screeching sounds of steel.

The man in the car felt numbness all over the body. He could feel the rushing hotness of his own blood all over his body. He tried to move his hands only to realise they were wedged between the steering wheel and the smashed doors. He could feel his eyes were desperately trying to close and the drops of blood dripping onto his eyelids. No longer after he could feel the surging pain raising from his legs and the stinging in his spine. He tried to look at his legs, but realized he was jammed below the neck. He was hanging upside down.

That explains the strange sound of approaching footsteps, he thought .

He registered that his stereo let out faint voice signals.

He tried to keep his eyes open but the droplets of blood was invading the whites of his eyes. He could see the foot steps approaching closer. The pain in his legs raised more, he squinted his eyes to get clear vision. When he tried to open it again - he couldn't. All he could see was the black and his creeping numbness crawling along his skin.

He could hear the faint voices of metal in the far corner of his consciousness. He felt the coldness of fingers on the side of his neck.

He tried hard to open his eyes. But the more he tried the more he felt himself slipping into the void.

'He is alive!!! Call 000!! His heart beat is dropping!!'

He could hear the hoarse voice of someone. And that was the last thing he heard before the numbness took over his body.

A man in his early twenties with worry laced around his face was sprinting through the cleaned hallways of the hospital building.

His nose scrunched when the familiar scent of hospital hit his nose. He fastened his steps to the reception .

'Good evening, sir! How may I help you?' The reception lady asked calmly despite her sleepless hours of work.

'Was there an accident case reported one hour ago?' he asked anxiously, taping his nails on the table. His face moving closer to the glass wall separating them, gulping from time to time to swallow the bitter taste of panic inside his mouth.

'May I know the name, so I can check, sir?' She asked, ready to type on the system in front of her.

'Taehyung... Kim Taehyung...' the young man said heaving a sigh between, to calm his racing heart down. He looked at how the reception lady was typing the name down and within few seconds she raised her head and looked at him.