chapter 3: the regular

you've been working in gotham's local diner for about a year now, the pay wasn't great, your co workers were okay, the shifts were long and the customers were boring, until you met him.

you met edward on a late autumn evening, he came into the diner and ordered a cappuccino and a slice of pumpkin pie, an order you'd grow to associate with the man. he was quiet, at first, but he soon warmed up to you.

he was older than you, only by a year, he liked riddles, classical music and he owned pet rats. he was interesting, never speaking much when he came in but always sneaking glances at you.

he wanted you, and you wanted him, but you'd never tell him that.

                                    <?>

"hi eddie!" you waved at the quiet man as he walked in, he gently smiled to himself at this name, if it was anyone else calling him it he would've snapped at them by now, but not you, he could never get angry at you.

"your regular?" edward snapped back into reality and nodded as you began preparing
his usual cappuccino and pumpkin pie.

"how've you been? i've missed you" you teased him, it'd only been a few days, but deep down you did miss him. "yeah i'm sorry i've been busy with work.." he sighed, he looked genuinely sorry. "eddie your okay! i was only teasing" you giggled as you handed him his pie and coffee, he just looked down. he did that a lot.

"so, any plans for tonight?" you smiled at him, you two being the only ones in the diner, considering it was past 11. "nope, the usual, go home and sleep" edward glanced at you before going back to looking at his coffee, swirling a pattern into it.

"you wanna come to my place?" edwards cheeks flushed red as he looked up to you, "huh? wha-" you laughed at his embarrassment, "just for drinks eddie! don't be gross, unless you don't want to that's ok-" you were cut off by his eager response, "no! id love to come round!" you grinned, "okay! i get off work in, 20 minutes?"

                                   <?>

the short walk back to your apartment was silent, but comfortably silent.
"so, this is my place, ignore the mess" you slightly laughed as you opened the door to your small apartment, "it's perfect" edward smiled before saying "n-not perfect, but, really nice!" he thought he'd came on too strong, you didn't mind, but again, you wouldn't tell him.

"make yourself comfortable eddie, i'm just gonna go get changed" you smiled at the man as he sat on your couch, sinking into it, finding a shitty horror movie to put one, he's seen it before, many times, but he knew he wouldn't be looking at the film. his eyes travelled to you as you walked back into the room, just in an oversized t shirt and shorts, he quickly looked away, realising he was staring. "you want a drink?" you smiled, "please." you poured 2 drinks for yourselves, bringing them to the smiling man on your couch. "i thought we could watch this?" edward motioned to the film he had up on your tv. "sure" you smiled gently, honestly too tired to care at this point, you just wanted to be with him.

                                   <?>

"well that was terrible" you laughed, eddie laughing in return, you had unconsciously moved closer to edward during the film, now cuddling up to him. "o-oh i should probably go right? it's getting late i'm sure you don't want me here anymore and-" "please, stay." you looked at him. he sighed before looking down at you. "okay." you made your way to your bedroom, edward trailing behind you, as you cuddled up to him you looked him in the eyes, "edward?" "yes?" "i love you." "i love you too, so much."

                                   <?>

a/n: hi!! i hope this actually made sense haha, also sorry for being really inconsistent with updates, im going to try and update every other day, no promises but it should be around then, and thank you so much again for the reads and comments and votes, it genuienly means so much to me, i didn't expect this to go very far so the amount of people seeing this is absolutely crazy to me, thank you!!!! <333333