chapter nineteen: the reconnection

Din

Din paces outside the barn, continuously glancing through the door to see Omera hovering over Alora's body. The rising sun reflects off of his armor, leaving a kaleidoscope of light dancing over the walls of the barn as he walks back and forth on the porch.

"Mando, calm down. I'm sure she's fine." Cara looks over from her leaning position against the barn.

"She was on fire, Cara. Literal fire." His voice is hoarse with worry as he glances over at an unconscious Alora.

"Which we doused before it could harm her. She's going to be okay."

The image of Alora being covered in flames is seared into his mind. After she had thrown him away from the explosion, Alora hadn't been able to get away in time. The blast of flame threw her body across the field, flames licking over her back. Cara had quickly pulled her into the water of the trap for the AT-ST, dousing the flames before they inflicted too much damage. Din can't shake the memory of her unconscious body hanging limp in Cara's arms. Blood was flowing from a gash on her head and she hadn't been responding to them when they were talking to her for a few moments.

Din looks down at his hand, Alora's dried blood still coating his palm. He stares at the dark blood, unable to wipe the image of her limp body from his mind.

"Mando, calm down. She woke up. Alora was just delirious from hitting her head and the blood. It's going to be fine."

Din's panic lessens slightly as he remembers the way Alora had thrown herself into his arms, shoving her face into his shoulder. The action had warmed his heart and calmed him slightly in her vulnerable state, but her deliria had been concerning. He wasn't sure exactly how much blood she had lost, but the sight of it matted in her hair and clothes and dripping down her neck made his stomach churn.

Cara's hand falls on Din's shoulder. "She's a Jedi. She's used to battle and I can guarantee that she's been through worse."

Din nods slowly, fighting back a grimace at the thought of her experiencing worse pain than this and he grips his bloody hand into a fist. He takes a deep breath in, focusing on the warm memory of Alora embracing him.

Her first thought was to go to you... To hug you. Delirious or not, it was her first instinct. Din smiles at the thought.

Omera appears at the door of the barn, cleaning her hands with a rag. Din spins around to look at her, eyes widening when he sees the splotches of blood on both her hands and the rag.

"She's going to be fine. There's blunt force trauma from her head slamming into the ground, but the bleeding has slowed and the wound is bandaged. I think she may have hit her head on some debris or rock as well. She was shot in the shoulder and there are a few bruises on her legs and body. Based on how she entered on the AT-ST, I would assume that the bruises came from her falling off of it and everything else is from taking down the raiders."

Din lets out a sigh of relief, his shoulders relaxing as he looks over Omera's shoulder to see Alora on the cot.

"Now, she did lose a decent amount of blood, so she may still be a little delirious when she wakes. I'm not sure what else may be affecting her, so I won't be able to finish checking on her until she's awake and aware. But she's going to be okay. A full recovery."

"Thank you, Omera," Din mumbles, staring at Alora's lifeless form.

"You can go see her if you want. I can watch the child for you until she's awake."

"Yes... thank you." He sets his hand on Omera's shoulder. "Thank you so much."

"Of course," she smiles, stepping aside to let Din into the barn.