chapter thirty-nine: the confession

Looking up from a scratch on your arm, your eyes train onto Din from across the room. His body language displays his physical discomfort in his conversation with Bo Katan and her fellow Mandalorians, and you can't help but frown slightly at the sight of his uncomfortable demeanor.

He's hunched over the table, surrounded by the other Mandalorians, but his gaze is stuck on Bo-Katan as she seems to explain something to him. Her eyes are fierce and focused, facial expression hardened from the conversation.

The child coos in your arms, drawing your attention away from the conversation happening across the bar.

"Hi, theesa," you coo, lightly kissing the child's forehead. "How are you feeling, little one?"

He coos in response, followed by a slight tilt of his head at your question.

"That monster was pretty scary, huh? He almost got you..." you murmur, pressing another kiss against his forehead. "But look... not a scratch on you! You're so strong, theesa!"

The kid giggles at your words as you litter his little head with kisses, smiling as his laughter grows louder. Your own soft laughter starts to mix with the child's as you snuggle him closer to your chest.

Din looks up from his conversation with the strange Mandalorians to the beautiful sound of a child's laughter. The anger and discomfort that had been stirring in his chest dissipate when his gaze falls onto the sight of you with the child, the two of you laughing and smiling in each other's embrace.

Truly like a mother and her son.

"Who is she?"

Din startles slightly at the interruption of his thoughts, glancing at Bo in surprise. "Hm?"

"The woman over there. The one who was with you on the ship? What's her name?" Bo tilts her head in curiosity, observing you in a strange manner. It almost seemed like... the beginning of recognition.

"Alora," Din muttered cautiously, protectiveness sweeping over him.

"Hm... what is her family name?"

Din's eyes narrow behind the visor, but he sees no hostility in Bo's expression. Only curiosity.

"Caddell. Alora Caddell."

"Caddell..."

Din watches her eyes narrow in thought, following her gaze back to you but getting distracted, once again, by the adorable sight of the child's joy and laughter.

"I can lead you to one of their kind."

Bo Katan's words draw Din's attention back to the conversation happening around him.

"But first... we need help with our mission."

I don't like that look on her face.

"Mission?" Din practically scoffs, both anger and confusion rising in his chest at the sudden twist in the conversation.

~~~

"Din, what's going on?" you hiss as you follow Din down the hall. The kid is sitting comfortably in the crook of his arm, and Din still has not told you what was discussed back at the bar. "What did they say? ... Better question, what did you say? Did you piss them off?"

"No," Din replies, annoyed and offended by your accusatory tone.

"Okay, then what is going on? Why are we heading back to the Frogs?"

"I'll explain in a minute," Din murmurs before knocking on the door that he's stopped in front of.

The door slides open to show the Frog family inside, the couple sitting with their children.