Chapter 18: Genin Gather

Things were beginning to get a little more...exciting.

Kakashi had now let Team 7 in on the fact that the Chunin Exams were almost here, and the three of them were to decide whether or not they would participate. Surprisingly, Sakura was the first to voice her approval, and it went without saying that the two Uchiha in the team were just as eager, if not more. The blonde Uchiha was clearly the most interested out of all of them.

Naruto made attempts to look more disinterested, but he had already given himself away to Kakashi. Naruto had to participate, he would never be able to pass up such an opportunity to fight. He hoped that he would find enemies would prove to be a worthy challenge at the very least. Desiring to learn more of his possible enemies, Naruto decided to act. He had only recently begun to learn the specifics of the other villages due to the fact that as a Genin, he was not privy to more...sensitive information. Now, however, he had an entire business to run and with that business began to build a spy network. Its members would remain exclusive and as discreet as possible and failure to remain incognito would result in an agonizing death.

Naruto knew that if he was going to become a major player in the ninja world, he would have to start small and secret. Anything bigger would make him an opportune target for someone in a similar position, and he would not be hunted again.

Naruto stood atop the Hokage Monument, looking over the village that had been his home since birth. He began to think about the future far more than ever before. Now that he had a massive business empire to run, he would have to create plans upon plans. Without a great deal of planning, the entire corporation could fall. Thus, he would have to rummage through all of his predecessor's paperwork, otherwise he would be very ill-informed. The shuffling of feet coming from behind him broke him out of his thoughts. "Quiet, isn't it?" "Yes, it is..." Naruto replied without turning to Kakashi. "You know, this night reminds me of the Uchiha Massacre..." Naruto raised an eyebrow and turned very slightly to Kakashi, letting him see only his Mangekyou. "Oh? And how so? Blood isn't splattering the walls of family's homes, corpses don't litter the streets, and the Kyuubi isn't sending an alarm to anyone who recognizes its chakra." Kakashi shrugged, walking up next to Naruto and looking over Konoha. "Sure, you could say that, but it carries a similar stillness. You know what I mean don't you?" Naruto turned back to watching the village. "I know what you're talking about, Kakashi." Kakashi gave Naruto a surprisingly cheery eye-smile.

Naruto didn't respond, opting instead to let his thoughts wander to that very night, the night where his life began anew. He could still vividly remember the anger, horror, and distress of it all.

Itachi had made sure of that.

"Kakashi, tell me...who caused all of that?"

Kakashi didn't respond and instead opted for a shrug, walking up next to Naruto. "I believe your father-Minato, knew the answer, but..."

It was finally time.

The Chunin exams would begin very soon, and he was more than ready. Naruto was extremely eager to fight opponents that would give him a greater challenge. Zabuza would have been a worthy opponent if he hadn't awakened the Mangekyou. Now he sought greater challenges, and sitting around in Konoha was beginning to bore him. He had even thought about going on a crime spree to force Anbu and the like to try and fight him.

As he walked aimlessly, he heard Konohamaru's voice in the distance. It sounded distressed, as if he was getting into real trouble. Naruto leapt up to the rooftops in a single bound, soon reaching Konohamaru. He looked down on the nin below him. "Judging by their appearances, they must be Sand nin. They don't seem like much of a threat though..." Naruto let out a quiet sigh of disappointment, having expected more from the other villages. Naruto knew that he was essentially a prodigy among prodigies, but he still couldn't help but feel let down. Naruto then glanced up to the third Sand nin, and paused for a moment. Naruto could feel that the boy was somewhat powerful. He smirked as a devious plan formed in his mind.

With a single shunshin, he was behind Gaara. Naruto sent a powerful kick into the boy's back, spewing sand from the blow and sending him straight into the dirt. The two Sand nin already below him jumped in shock and terror. Naruto let out a quiet, dark chuckle at their faces. "What's the surprise for? He isn't so powerful, you know." He snickered at the boy he sent flying towards his fellow shinobi. "Sabaku no Gaara, I had expected you to be more of a...challenge." In a second, Gaara was up and sending a massive stream of sand towards Naruto. "Don't mock me!" Naruto easily dodged each blast of sand from Gaara, almost taunting the boy. Gaara let out an angry growl of frustration.

Naruto finally decided that he was bored of the feeble assault, and in an instant was before the boy. "Gaara, save your 'strength' for the exams. I certainly don't care for it."