And Then There Were Eight

AN: Tripler (my new child) is here! He's 30 years old at the time this book is set!

Matilda's POV

What more exciting news could my friend group be getting? Clem's pregnant, Penney's going to become a mother, hell, Keira got a promotion the other day. It seems like the universe was just in our favor.

But anyway, here I was at Catlynn's apartment, which had been our secret meeting spot for years. Penney had called with good news, and told us all to meet at Catlynn's as soon as possible. So now everyone was in Catlynn's living room except for Penney, who was soon to arrive.

"Hey guys!" Penney yelled as she came in, taking off her shoes and flopping on the couch next to Josie.

"Hey, Pen. What's the good news?" Clementine asked. Penney giggled and said, "You guys remember Tripp?"

"Tripler Kinnunen? Yeah, I remember him. They're really sweet." Catlynn said. Penney smiled and said, "What if I told you guys he was at our front door?"

"What?" Josie said, looking back.

"Hey guys!" Tripler said from the door, running inside the apartment and taking off his shoes. He ran a hand through their dark brown hair and sat on the chair in the living room. "God, I missed you guys. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. Also Clem, you look different."

Clem giggled and looked to Tripler. "Yeah. Got a major glow up in college, most people from my childhood didn't recognize me at first glance. I'm also pregnant, so that could be why I look different?"

"You're what?!"  Tripler said, earning a hearty cackle from Clem. "Damn, Tripp! Yeah, I'm with child, calm down!"

Tripler laughed and Penney turned to them and said, "So, how's life? What are you doing for a job? Have you gotten married yet? Do you have kids? Do you want kids?"

Tripler smiled softly and said, "Well, I went to Australia about two years ago and got married to Cameron, sorry I didn't invite any of you, I sort of lost touch with y'all. Anyway! I live in New Zealand now, but go to NYC a few times a year to see Mom and stuff, what's up with you guys?"

"You know what's going on with Clem, Catlynn's the head doctor at the children's hospital, Val, Keira, and I all work at our old high school, Matilda's a professional derby girl, and Josie's a dance teacher." Penney said.

Tripler nodded and then took a sip of Coca-Cola. "That's awesome. Hey, how would y'all like if I came down here more often to hang out with you guys and stuff? Babysit your kids, be their cool uncle, say hi to your spouses and stuff." 

"That actually sounds really nice. I missed you, Tripp." Catlynn said. 

"I missed you guys too, really. Hey, I'm glad we all kept in touch. You guys were some of my best friends in high school and I'm glad I met you." Tripler said. "Even though I was a little late to the Adopted By party, you guys made the whole adoption process a little bit easier, cause truth be told, it was daunting at first. So thank you."

"Anytime, Tripp. Now...wanna cause some chaos?" I asked slyly.