Chapter 6

Angel With Dirty Faces

He feels his stomach quench as a new possibility reaches his mind. Maybe this isn't simply the aiding of a person who has experienced the same thing. Maybe this is not a just sympathy. Maybe this is more than that: Maybe this is more than a simple infatuation.

He dreads the thought and tries to send it away. He is friends with Harry Potter and the other Gryffindors, not Slytherins. They aren't all bad, of course; but they aren't entirely innocent, either. He must forget this whole deal he has created in his mind. He cannot afford to help Draco Malfoy, no matter how much help he needs. This sounds discriminative and very, very wrong to his ears; yet this is the truth, the harsh and unforgiving truth. He cannot afford to aid him in a search to his freedom of this twisted perfection if there is a chance of falling for him along the way.

But he must.

Cedric's p.o.v.

Pulling back on the reins, Draco let out a sigh and leaned further into my chest. I watched as he looked around, taking in the white farm house, the apple trees, the barn, the wide fields where at least ten horses roamed freely. I took a deep breath, already feeling the calm and serenity that came with this area.

"Your home is beautiful, Cedric," Draco spoke in an awed voice.

"It's your home now, too, Draco," I responded as I hopped off Maggie's back. Draco went to slip his leg over the horse, but I stopped him before he could. "Do you really think I'm going to make you hobble all the way up the drive to the house?" He gave me a sheepish smile before settling back into the saddle.

Pulling the reins from his hands, I led Maggie up the drive to the front porch. Tying her up, I turned to Draco. "Now, you can get off." He nodded before turning sideways and waiting for me to lift him down. As his feet touched the ground I held his waist for a moment longer than I should have. Looking in my eyes, I could see a question burning in his.

Settling him on the porch steps, I turned and quickly untied his crutches, desperately trying to avoid his eyes; I could not let him see what I was really thinking. As I handed them over to him, I spoke. "Mum's going to be really surprised, so I'm just warning you, she might cry."

He pulled himself to his feet and climbed the porch steps with a smile. Slowly, I pulled open the screen door, passing the big glass door that mama always liked to keep open on warm spring and summer days. We quietly made our way into the house, passing the empty dinning room and foyer.

I smiled as I looked into the lounge. My mother was curled up on the couch; asleep with a book lying across her lap. Motioning to Draco, I told him to take a seat in the arch chair by the fireplace. I slowly made my way towards the couch and crouched down.

Lifting my hand, I ran my fingers through her long caramel coloured hair. She shifted in her sleep, slowly starting to wake up. "Mum, wake up. It's me, Cedric. I'm home, mum," I whispered in her ear. Smiling, I watched as her eyes flickered open.

A gasp fell from her lips as joyful tears filled her eyes. "Ced, is it really you? Oh, please tell me you're really home?" I nodded, unable to speak around the lump in my throat. My vision blurred slightly before my own tears began to fall. I laughed in shock as she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck.

"My baby's home! I've missed you so much, sweetheart! You have no idea how worried I've been about you, young man. I swear if you eva do that again I may just- Oh, and who is this," she cut off in the middle of her rant, noticing Draco for the first time.

"Oh, mama, this is Draco Malfoy," she gasped as I mentioned the name Malfoy, and Draco visibly stiffened at this reaction, so I continued, "I offered him a home and he's promised to help with chores once he's all healed up." She started at my words, eyes narrowing, immediately searching out Draco's injury. She frowned as she noticed the bandage and his crutches.

Draco smiled charmingly at her before speaking "Pleased to make your acquaintance, miss. I do very much appreciate Cedric's offer of lodgings, but I'd like your approval as well."

"My! With that voice you've gotta be a Malfoy. Hm, I think I need to hear the story behind this whole situation," she decided with a sweet smile. He nodded and slowly began his tale.

"A month ago, my parents were taken into Azkaban. My father wanted me to join the dark side so when the time came, I joined out of respect for him. I hated it from the moment I got there. He used to abuse me, by means of the Crutiatus Curse, and I was bitten on the leg by a werewolf as a form of punishment. I carried on at school for a while but the wound wasn't treated and got infected fast, and eventually I collapsed. Cedric helped me and brought me with him, so I wasn't spending the holidays at school. We went to this small town and Cedric paid for a room. He helped clean my wound, too, before the doctor stitched it up. This morning he taught me how to ride a horse and now we're here," he finished with a flourish, looking proud of himself for explaining so quickly.

My mother turned to me with an arched eyebrow, silently asking for my explanation. I took a deep breath and shook my head, waving my hand as if to push away the question in the air.

She looked at our hopeful faces before standing and moving over to Draco. Without a word, she wrapped her arms around him in a fierce, mother-like hug.

"Welcome home, Draco. Oh, and please do call me Eliza, or Lizzie for short," she whispered into his hair. I watched as his face contorted in relief, knowing he was trying to prevent relieved tears from escaping.

"Real men, Draco, real men," I said quietly from my place on the floor. He nodded before his tears slowly fell. Eliza turned her head towards me, eyes lit with recognition of my words. When I nodded at her, she turned and wrapped Draco more tightly in her embrace.

It's the way that you blush when you're nervous

It's your ability to make me earn this.

I know that you're tired,

Just let me sing you to 's about how you laugh out of pity

'Cause let's be honest, I'm not really that funny

I know that you're shy,

Just let me sing you to sleep.