Chapter 8

Missing Pieces

He grits his teeth, the whiteness of them blinding. His face doesn't seem so attractive anymore, and the part of him which shies away from the likes of him is at more ease now that he isn't blinded by the perfection that surrounds him. How can he, when he's become that twisted hypocrite that wants blood supremacy, the worst kind of racism in this world? How can he, when he acts like he's some sort of king amongst them, mocking them for being inferior to him? How can he, when he sees that sickeningly cold and hard glint in his eyes and something more, something that is mixed with that? He shies away from him, he cannot charm his way to him now. He won't let him, not when he has eyes carved of ice.

There's no humour in his eyes, instead fear, and anger that is born from that bloodthirsty fear. He understands. And it shocks him, the truth: so hideous, so horrifying, and so... simple. He understands why he saw him like that at the library that day. He understands why he is constantly in fear. The simplicity of it shocks him.

Cedric's p.o.v.

After a few hours, Draco looked at me with a smile. I had taught him how to do most of the chores on the farm. I was saving one more for last. I sincerely hoped that all the other chores had tired him out. That way, chopping logs could go on for only a short while. He rocked on his heels, eager to learn more.

"So.. what's next?"

Chuckling, I started to walk around the barn, jerking my head to indicate that he should follow. Stepping into the field behind the barn, Draco gaped at me.

"We're chopping logs?" I nodded, waiting for his typical can-do answer. "That'll be easy. I mean, how hard can it be? Everything else was pretty easy to do." And there it was.

Chuckling, I simply said, "We'll see, Draco, we'll see. Besides, we're doing it the muggle way, remember?" I walked over to the axe that was lying with its head under the side of a log. As I pulled it out, I smirked over in Draco's direction, knowing he could not possibly pull this off on the first couple of tries; it would take him a long time to get this one down.

Draco followed me as I walked toward a ten foot long log. I smiled at him one time before setting about showing him what to do. He watched with wide eyes and a dropped jaw as I repeatedly raised the heavy axe over my head before swinging it down hard into the log, until it finally broke off. Gasping slightly, I wiped the sweat off my brow.

I found it slightly odd how Draco seemed to be gasping almost as much as I was. My eyes narrowed as I saw how he held his hands, folded in front of him. Shaking off my suspicion, I called him over. "Come on over, Draco. Are you ready to give it a try?" he nodded as he slowly moved over to me.

"Okay so hold one hand by the end and one by the head. Raise it above your shoulder. When you bring it down, slid your hand from the head to the other hand." He nodded at me, already seeming more reluctant to begin this new task. Smiling I continued, "Put one foot in front of the other; make sure it's the one opposite the side that you're gunna hold the axe on. Oh, and make sure you bend down to the log when you swing, so you don't hurt your back."

I slowly backed away after handing the axe off to him. Once I was far enough away, I gave him the okay. The old barn scratched my back as I leaned against it. My smile was impossible to hide as I stood watching his fruitless attempts.

Each time he brought the axe down he was unable to get any real force behind it. After about fifteen minutes, he dropped the axe to the ground. Looking at the barely dented log, he bent over and groaned. Chuckling, I figured it would be appropriate to offer my help.

"So, it's not as easy as you thought, huh?" he simply glared up at me, tears of frustration and exhaustion in his eyes, from his hunched over position.

"Well, do you want me to help?" He nodded as he slowly rose to his full height. I blushed as I realized what I was about to do; I had not been this close to Draco since our trip home. "Okay, get into position and hold the axe up, but don't swing it." With a shuddering breath, he followed my instructions.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐌𝐄 🎉