Chapter 10

"Young Master Wei... sorry, that's not your title anymore, silly me. Yiling Patriarch, why are you so hasty to leave. Didn't you know that it's rude and discourteous, not though you care for these trivial manners I suppose." Shouted a voice.

Jin Guangshan.

How he hated that vile, little, bilious man sat at the front of the hall. Even the blurring and warping caused by whatever was in his system couldn't make that ugly, brutish face look any better. Wei Ying couldn't stop himself from responding, his clarity clouded (to be fair even in a completely sober frame of mind he probably still would have made some controversial comment in return).

"Jin Guangshan... oh wait... I mean father-in-law if we're really going for accuracy, I was under the impression you were just saying to Clan Leader Yao about how I shouldn't be allowed here and was so powerful that even from outside the hunting grounds I managed to completely spoil the game and prevent you and your clan from catching anything. Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that I was busy spending time with Lady Jiang all day and therefore your small amount of catch was purely down to the skill of your followers. Although, it was unfortunately not my fault, I will be leaving the feast just as you and Mr Yao desired."

That seemed to suitably annoy the man but Wei Ying couldn't help worrying at the slur that had arisen in his later sentences. Lan Zhan also seemed to be trying to catch his eye, confusion and fear evident on his face. He had to admit, it was a pretty bold statement for him to ridicule the Chief of Cultivation in his own sect but then again, it was pretty bold of someone to poison him in front of the most influential figures of the cultivational world.

Jin Guangshan was seething but there was an evil glint in his glare. Wei Ying had no doubt that he was in some way involved in the attacks.

Wei Ying turned and began to walk towards the door but the ground was getting oddly closer and he could feel himself swaying violently. He felt almost drunk surrounded by a suffocating cloud that was muffling his thoughts. He felt strong arms pull him back and he found himself staring deep into a pair of concerned, golden eyes. He tried to lean forward towards Lan Zhan to quietly inform him that he had again been poisoned but his body would not oblige and instead he found himself shoving the other off of him.

Shock permeated the crowd. It was widely known that Hanguang-jun was one of Wei Wuxian's biggest supporters in the cultivation world and this aggression seemed to counter any preconceived ideas. Perhaps most shocked of all though was Lan Zhan himself. He could think of no reasonable cause for Wei Ying's actions. 

"Wei Ying?" He questioned, hurt and confusion slightly detectable in his tone.

But Wei Ying did not answer. He had become almost catatonic to his surroundings. As soon as a thought came into his head it was dragged out and silenced replaced by an ominous abyss. He knew he needed to concentrate if he wanted to solve this but resistance seemed futile. Impulses forced his body into motion but he knew neither where or why he was going.

"WEI YING!" That distant echo was back. 

Lan Zhan? The image was overcome. But it was becoming clearer. This was no poison, it was some sort of mind control. He was no longer dictating his actions. He focused as hard as he could with an unknown determination. Slowly he could feel the darkness peel back slightly as though someone was wrenching open his eyes. He couldn't lose focus.

He had moved unconsciously towards Yanli and Jin Ling who were innocently staring up at him. His attacker's intention was obvious. Kill the child. He knew he would never be able to recover from the consequences of this act. He struggled harder against the constricting darkness and forced out a mangled phrase.

"Run... away from... me."

Yanli would not move: either scared or concerned.

"NOW!" He managed to shout.

It crushed him inside to see how Yanli cowered and fled along with half of the room. They gathered in the furthest corner all squished up behind Lan Zhan who hadn't moved since earlier. At Lan Zhan's feet was A-Yuan who promptly started crying and reaching for his 'baba'. Lan Zhan scooped him up and cuddled him into his robes.

Wei Ying needed to somehow explain or show Lan Zhan what was happening so he could protect the crowd but his weak body was failing him and is strength against whatever had taken his mind was waning.

"Lan Zhan... protect..." He couldn't finish the sentence so just helplessly pointed to the crowd. 

"Poison," he gasped out, "con..troll..in..g my ...act...ions".

He accidentally lost focus and the darkness slipped over again. What had he been saying?

He was moving blindly. Where was he? Anger was all he felt. Something forgotten screamed inside him. He forced himself out again. He was closer now to the group that shivered and shook helplessly.

Bichen.

The only solution.

"Lan.. Zha..n... Bi..chen... Now" He tried to get the other to give him the sword but he refused.   

He had no time.

He grabbed Bichen from its sheath and before the horrified stares of others could stop him, he plunged it deep into his stomach.

--------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hi! Sorry for the looooooong wait. Hopefully there will be some more chapters soon! Thanks for the support!