Chapter 13 - Grandma's Plan

Grandma arrived at the hotel in the evening, and after checking in, she had to execute her plan before doing anything else. Anett was at the courts, and so was Dasha; she hoped this would work. Otherwise, she was unsure how she could get away with it. So she approached the reception desk.

"Hello, I need to speak to Charles Leclerc. But, unfortunately, I am not sure about his room. Could you please call him for me?"

"Ma'am, I can not do that for you. I am sorry." The blonde receptionist smugly replied as she argued and argued. Finally, she peered over at a middle-aged man who appeared to be listening in. He caught her eyes and asked her, "Eesti?" She smiled at him and started the conversation in her native tongue; she explained to him that she was the grandmother of Anett Kontaveit, and he made the call immediately. Grandma asked him to not mention who she was. The man agreed.

CHARLES POV:

Just as Charles was thinking about what he would do for dinner, just wanting to escape Daniel and spend some time thinking about Anett before she played her match, his hotel phone rang. He was intrigued. It would be only reception. He answered a man with a slight accent."Mr Leclerc, there is someone here for you, sir." Charles got mad as if they would call him regarding a fan.

"Sir, this woman is not a fan; she is a guest of one of our tennis guests and has requested to speak to you only. Furthermore, she has requested that I do not disclose her information." Charles had assumed it to be Dasha or even Dmitry, but his interest was piqued.

"I will be down in 5."Charles walked downstairs in a pair of sweatpants, a bandana, a hoodie and his glasses. He was not in the mood, really. When Charles arrived in the foyer, it was deserted. All the players were at the courts; a few couples, a few families, and an old lady were knitting. He walked over to the reception, annoyed.

"Hello, I am Charles Leclerc; there is supposed to be someone here for me." The blonde girl fluttered her eyes and flirted like crazy.

"I am sorry, Mr Leclerc. I tried to palm her off, I know you're here to rest, but my colleague insisted." He rolled his eyes; he knew she was flirting. He just couldn't be bothered.

"I am sorry, Mr Leclerc, that would be me. I know this lady is not a violent fan or anything, and she is very demanding and said she had some things for you." He was super annoyed by all of this and got frustrated. 

"Well, take me to her!" He was beyond angry.

They walked toward the old lady knitting, and Charles was so confused he had no words until he heard the man speak some weird Russian sounding language they said to each other before they swapped to English. "Mrs Kontaveit, this is Mr Leclerc." Charles was dumbfounded. Who was this woman? He was broken from his thoughts as the lady started to speak. 

"You are much more handsome than my Nettu said. I am Anett's Grandma." The woman said with a warm smile only a grandma could have. Charles suddenly panicked and felt really exposed; he was underdressed, rude and very abrupt, all in front of the woman he loves' grandma. 

"Oh wow, I am Charles; it is so lovely to meet you, Mrs Kontaveit."

"Please call me grandma. Everyone does. Now listen, you are too skinny; how about we get something for dinner. I am sorry I couldn't cook for you, but we are here. I flew here today. I haven't flown in years. I was amazed how quick it was to get here." Charles looked at her in shock. She was terrifically charming and funny, but at the same time, she was still an 85-year-old former soviet woman at heart. He was interrupted from his thoughts once again.

"How about you take my arm and give these young girls something to talk about." Charles burst out laughing. As they sat down to dinner, where grandma scalded him 5 times for being too skinny and not eating enough, she explained why she was there and started crying.

"I know I won't be here forever, and I need to make sure my Nettu is happy. Now Nettu has told me how she feels, and I think you are both awful for lying, but I can see how much you love each other, so I forgive both of you." It genuinely meant a lot to Charles, and as he was ready to rest, grandma pulled an envelope of cash from her bag; Charles looked wide-eyed at this old woman carrying this money in an envelope, and she spoke again.

"I have a plan, but I do not have a credit card, so I need your help. Next week, I know you are in Mexico; my friend's grandson watches your car racing things. I don't think it is a bit too boring for me, and I will bring Nettu, and you will talk. While I talk to more handsome men." Charles laughed and went to speak, but he was shut down.

"Listen, I know she said she needs time but trust me, now listen, I need 3 plane tickets and 3 race tickets, how much is that. I will bring my beautiful Dasha too. She likes girls and boys, you know?" Charles had tears in his eyes at this woman's gesture, and he began to cry and argue he didn't want her money, but she began abusing him in the same breath. She wanted him to book while she was standing there.

He booked it all for her, and she gave him the money; he made a note to upgrade her and have the tickets upgraded to paddock passes, they continued to talk as Grandma drank a whole bottle of wine, and Charles was honestly concerned that she didn't change. Finally, she laughed at him as she looked at the time and exclaimed, "I must go watch my Nettu!"

"Grandma, what about your phone number so you can call me and I can call you?" Grandma pulled her phone out of her bag as Charles looked in amazement. How much more could she fit in this bag?

"I don't know how you do that, Charles, my dear; you do it for me."

"What about your number?"

"Oh, I don't know it, dear," Grandma said as Charles laughed as he called himself from her phone.

She called the waiters and screamed at Charles when he tried to pay again. Then, finally, she reached into the envelope and declined his invitation to watch together, simply stating, "Charles, I have to take my bra off, and I am not ready for you to see that just yet."Charles laughed very loud at the enigma as she walked away before she turned and said, "I will see you Saturday, my love." She then blew him a kiss.

"Bye, Grandma!" He sat there laughing and crying at the same time, this woman was saving his chance, and he was not going to take it for granted. He walked up the stairs with a pep in his step as he ignored the flirting wave from the hotel receptionist.

Daniel was waiting for him and began yelling. It was then he realised he had been with grandma for 3 hours. "Dan, you will see on Saturday, but I am not sure what just happened."

Dan kept bugging, but Charles walked into his room and said "good night, Dan" through the closed door. Thinking about Anett. He smiled as he lay down, watching her match. He didn't think he had genuinely smiled like this since he had been with Anett back in Monaco.