Open Hostility

Unknown: 0 C

"Leaving without saying goodbye?"

"I've got a job to get to. So do you."

"*sigh* Already back to business as usual."

"It's not like that. I thought we all agreed to keep up appearances."

"And I said I can take care of myself."

"I know you can, and so could I. But that was with our own reality. Things have changed. It's best to stay prepared."

"... Did you mean it, Bo? What you said yesterday?"

_____

Nibelungen: 0 C

Sophia marvelled at the hatchling within a tank. While at first skeptical about submerging still incomplete DNA samples within "bacta", the extremely expedited gestation period quickly calmed her concerns. She'd already grown a few dinosaurs using this method, but it so far hadn't ceased to take her breath away.

"That's an ugly little cutie there," Doctor Uthan commented. "I'm beginning to see why you loved your job so much." Sophia smiled at the comment and took a moment to appreciate sharing the experience.

"This bacta you use is incredible!" she expressed her amazement. "It used to be we needed at least a 50% complete DNA sample to grow a dinosaur of equal quality found in the wild. With this, we can achieve the same quality of a 75 or even 100% complete sample with only 25%! This opens up so many new doors for what can be accomplished!" Doctor Uthan, for her part, actually fostered what seemed to be a genuine, tender smile.

Sophia could hardly contain her excitement and turned to face her fellow researcher. Ovolot flinched back and, evidently without thinking, commented, "Oh! You put them away," before attempting to continue their discourse regarding bacta and dinosaurs. Sophia sensed she meant no harm in the remark, but still subconsciously felt her "updated" uniform, which consisted of a longer skirt-portion and a completely covered top. Doctor Uthan quickly apologized for her thoughtlessness, citing her lack of tact a byproduct of time spent with her family.

Sophia shook her head and said, "No, I should be the one apologizing. I'm still getting used to it."

"I hear you," her colleague nodded. "But I did warn you before your training."

"Yeah, you did," sighed Sophia. "But it's hot working here! When you factor in the humidity, it's just ridiculous!"

Doctor Uthan looked her over before gifting an understanding pat on the back. "By the looks of it, you got some new Republic imports. The materials have better temperature regulation. You'll be fine out there." A soft alert signalled the entrance of the lab's usual entourage of Emma, En, and Hei, their unofficial liaison.

"Oh, Emma. Not you too," Sophia thought aloud with a whisper, her heart sinking upon catching sight of her friend's own uniform adjustments.

"The window closed," her peer remarked regarding Emma's fully closed outfit, longer skirt, and... Really? Her shoulders too?

"Hi, Sophie! Hi, Doctor Uthan!" Emma cheerily bounded over and greeted them. Sophia welcomed her with a short, sad hug then said hello to the Clones wheeling in an incubator. Emma caught sight of the tank and gasped. Freeing herself from Sophia's comforting grasp, the young woman excitedly, but gently, pressed herself against the surface.