Chapter 2

Her hand reached out to flick the light on, her eyes squinted as she adjusted to the change but focused them on the man in front of her.

"What do you want Nick?"

"You know I care for you Cora. It might be hard to believe but I do care for you. So I would like you to answer my calls. I don't want to be thinking you're lying dead and lonely in that apartment of yours"

Cora looked at him in disbelief and anger, "you better tell me what you want Nick because I'm very close to walking out of the room and blocking your contact"

He just smiled and nodded. "Okay. I want you to come with me and help the avengers-". He was cut off by loud hysterical laughter.

She was clutching her stomach as she laughed making Fury confused.

"I don't understand how that is so funny"

Cora couldn't even reply as she was trying to catch her breath. Nick just stared at her clearly not amused.

After a solid 3 minutes, Cora was only just calming herself down. "Oh I'm sorry that must have been the funniest thing that has ever left your mouth"

"I don't see how it's funny. I just said-"

"No,no don't say it again I'll start laughing!" She stopped him. "Its just funny because you have actually come here to ask me to help you and the avengers. Like I would do that" she chuckled.

"I'm serious Cora. They need help and I know you can help them." He said seriously, "and I even think they can help you"

"You're kidding right?" She stared at him for a moment but his expression didn't shift. "Oh right of course because that tin man and I have so much in common. So do me and the green guy. You do already know we have therapy lessons together because we can relate so much to eachother!" She said sarcastically.

"Fine. Just stay with them to help them please. They need it."

Cora sighed. "Then will you leave me alone?"

"If I see fit then yes"

"Fine, I'll help your friends. But that's it. Once I have helped them, I'm leaving. You understand?" She said strictly, pointing her finger towards the man

"Yes ma'am" he nodded.

"When do I need to be ready?"

"I have arranged a car to come pick you up at 7 tonight" he confirmed.

"And what should I do for work?"

"I have already spoken with John. He said you just sit here and do nothing unless they need your help anyway"

Cora nodded, "true"

"Thank you Cora" he stood slowly from his seat. "im really grateful for you doing this"

"Do the avengers know you are such a softie?"

"No" he said immediately, "and I'd like to keep it that way" his eyebrows rose warningly.

Cora laughed, "alright you're secret is safe with me" tapping the side of her nose.

"Go get packed Cora" Fury sighed.

"Alright alright" she held her hands up and opened the door. "it was nice seeing you Fury"

"See I knew you missed me" he smirked.

"Yeah whatever. I'll be ready at 7" she waved and walked out the room.

She knew the next few weeks were not going to be easy and she instantly regretting saying yes to Fury. But she had a feeling she needed to do this. Maybe it could help her.