Chapter Five: Better than Dewberries

"You've become so damaged, that when someone wants to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respond." Courtney Peppernell

___

Elsea was dead set on rejecting his offer. But she couldn't afford to expose her identity either. How could she have carelessly left the ring on her finger? She never took it off, and often forgot she even had it on. Now, her mistake had cost her.

The boy sauntered off, before looking back at her expectantly. Elsea took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He had her knife, and she was going to gut him for it. She caught up with him, shooting him a glare he pretended not to notice. There was something...unusual about his gait, and it took Elsea a few seconds to see why. His steps were light and precise, his toes touching the ground before the heels of his feet. 

"So, first off." The boy said as they walked. "Your name."

"What about it?" Elsea narrowed her eyes.

"You need to change it." Unfortunately, it made perfect sense if she wanted to hide her identity. "How about Ellie?" 

"How about you tell me your name?" Elsea dodged his question with another of her own. 

"Everett." He said, cocking his head slightly as if surprised she wanted to know. 

"Everett." Elsea repeated under her breath. What a shame the beautiful name was wasted on him. 

Just when she began to wonder where they were going, Everett stopped in front of a shop. If you could call it a shop, that is. It was small and beat up, with people spilling out of the doors. Elsea didn't see what the deal was, but people chattered excitedly and crowded in. A warm, rich aroma doused the air, and she inhaled deeply. Although the aroma was heavenly, Elsea glanced around in doubt, taking in the ripped up walls and worn down floors. Everett gestured impatiently to her, already in line. Nervous in front of so many people, Elsea kept her head low and followed him. Before she could ask him why her brought her to a coffee shop, Everett whispered,

"We need to do something about..." Everett waved at her clothing. "this."

Elsea started to shrink back self consciously, but stopped herself, tilting her chin up. "What's wrong with the way I dress?" 

He snorted,  "Your cloak? Worth at least a couple years wages with that quality of silk. If you want to blend in, your going to need some new clothes." Shame burned in Elsea's chest. She thought her clothes were plain and ordinary, but it was still finer than much of the clothes in Raveene. How many people were scattered along these streets, poor and hungry? While she had a dress covered in rubies that could feed dozens ? She had never given much thought about people from other kingdoms, had taken her wealthy life for granted. Did her mother ever discuss trade with Raveene? Asteria had plenty of money and resources to spare, and Elsea didn't see why they weren't. 

I would be able to help these people if I were queen. 

Elsea shoved the thought away, her breath quickening. 

A hand touched her shoulder and Elsea jerked away, unused to physical contact. "Are you alright? I lost you for a second." 

She nodded, having forgotten Everett's presence for a moment. Even though he wasn't the pleasantest of company, it was strangely nice having someone with her. 

"So why did you bring me here?" Elsea said.

"Their drinks are to die for. Their known for their coffee, but their mint tea is heavenly. " Everett answered, and she was glad he didn't question her change in topic. "I was on my way to grab some coffee when you bumped into me." 

"I don't really fancy coffee that much." Elsea said dismissively. Asterion coffee was creamy and over sugared, and she preferred plain tea. 

Before Everett could reply, they reached the counter. Elsea eyed the menu doubtingly, the prices ridiculously low. Embarrassingly, she'd never ordered at a shop before. 

"I'll have the usual," Everett said comfortably, as if he'd ordered a million times. "And she'll have a cup of  coffee." He winked at her, and Elsea gritted her teeth.

"No sugar or cream please." Elsea said, upset that he'd ordered for her. 

Everett gave a low whistle. "You sure about that?" 

Elsea brushed past him and found a table near the window. She fidgeted nervously as they waited, not used to large amounts of people close to her. Somehow, they seemed...different from Asterions. They smiled openly and warmly, talking about gossip and the latest news. They were relaxed and dressed in warm clothes, the women wearing their hair short and unbound. Elsea was glad she'd taken her hairpin out, but her white hair fell halfway to her waist. It must've been a common style in Raveene for the women to have short hair, but in Asteria most women grew their hair to their hips. People in Raveene also had a variety of hair colours, whereas in Asteria most people had lighter shades like blonde or light brown. It had surprised her when she saw Everett, his hair as dark as spilled ink. 

"Okay, so." Everett's unwanted voice pierced the fleeting silence between them, to Elsea's dismay. "Your name is now Ellie. Appearance wise, you need some new clothes and a haircut to your shoulders, which should disguise you as a Raveenion. However, your eyes are... different. People in Raveene have brown and green eyes, and purple is quite rare. Same with blue, for that matter." His eyes laughed at her. 

How dare he make fun of her eyes. Her eyes were mismatched, one a light purplish, and the other a dark blue. She'd always thought they were her best feature, never mind that her family's eyes were all cornflower blue. Including Saphira. 

Now that she looked around, indeed everyone had brown or green eyes. Everett's too. His eyes were a deep forest green, with flecks of gold scattered around them. 

Clink. Their food was set in front of them. Everett had ordered mint tea and a chocolate croissant, which she figured was his "regular". Her cup of coffee looked amazing, steam rising off of it. 

Everett had already started eating his croissant, but was looking at her, waiting for her to try it. Hesitatingly, Elsea brought her mug to her lips, taking a small sip. Rich, bitter, and dark liquid slid down her throat, and she immediately rushed to take another sip. This was not the coffee she was used to. This was the best thing she'd ever tasted. 

"I don't know how your drinking coffee without five scoops of sugar and cream, but I'm glad you like it." Everett grinned for the what seemed like the tenth time, a small dimple forming at his left cheek. Elsea was too busy drinking to respond.

___

Elsea was coffee-high, practically bouncing  as they walked. They were getting her new clothes, but she could hardly focus with the coffee rushing through her veins. She'd purchased knee-high black boots like Everett's, a long green coat with buttons, trousers, and a white airy shirt. All Elsea had worn her whole life was dresses, and now, she finally could be free to wear men's clothing. She tried to ignore Everett's piercing gaze every time she drew out her satchel full of coins.  

"Ellie, no." Everett saw her looking at a leather strip that could hold up her hair. "Its custom that your hair should be worn down." 

Against his advice, Elsea bought it anyway, partly in spite of him. She gathered her hair out of her face in a messy low bun, glad to have her hair out of her face. 

Everett just sighed. 

Elsea spotted a small book stand, and immediately ran over, giddy with excitement. She'd forgotten to collect her items from Erebus, including her books. 

"Do you like to read?" Everett blurted suddenly as Elsea opened a promising fantasy novel. 

"Its half of what I spend my time doing." Elsea murmured, turning a page. 

"What type of books?" Everett appeared to be holding his breath.

"Fantasy." Elsea looked up, and Everett broke out into yet another grin. 

And then he said the two words that changed her life.

"Me too."