Chapter Six: A decision

"When I discover who I am, I'll be free." -Ralph Ellison

___

It was dark, and Elsea had no idea where they were going, but she honestly didn't care. Which was a sign something was wrong with her.

What is happening to me. Elsea was the kind of person who didn't talk to anyone, much less a stranger bargaining with her identity. Nonetheless, they'd talked about books for hours. It was infuriating that he had impeccable book taste, and Elsea was failing at keeping her guarded walls up. She kept forgetting who she was when she was with him, and Elsea had found herself opening up for the first time. Why did he have to like books so much? It would've been better if they'd had nothing in common. 

Everett was blackmailing her. He only wanted her money, and even if she agreed to his deal, he could betray her and tell everybody her secret. Or just mug her and take all her money anyways. But not accepting his deal would mean her identity exposed, and her new life shattered before it even began. His entire "bargain" was bent on her trusting the word of a stranger. 

Elsea had to a make a decision now, and they both knew it. 

The day was ending, and plum coloured clouds were sweeping across the sky, blanketing Raveene in silence and tension. Everett seemed to be walking somewhere, but Elsea hadn't bothered to ask where, just followed him. 

Suddenly, he stopped. Elsea almost crashed into him again, and he turned to look at her. His sharp cheekbones were washed with moonlight, giving him a serious edge to his face. 

"The day of decision is ending." Everett said, in a tone devoid of his usually joking self. "Do you choose to accept the deal?" 

No. Elsea thought. "Yes," Her mouth whispered. 

"Very well then." Everett said, clearly restraining a smile. 

"I'll give you half now and half...later." Elsea said, realizing that they never specified how long the deal was. She dropped three coins into Everett's already outstretched hand, wondering what she'd just gotten herself into. 

There was a spring in Everett's step now, with the money now jingling in his pocket. 

"Are you going to give me my knife back?" Elsea said, already knowing the answer. 

"No." Everett said, as expected. "But I'm quite confused as to why you have a kitchen knife, given that your a princess. You'd think that royalty would own a emerald encrusted dagger or something more extravagant." 

"Well, I have a sword." Elsea said, regretting the words as soon as she spoke them. So much for the element of surprise when she cut his head off. 

But it was all forgotten when Everett whistled appreciatively. "Where do you hide a sword?" 

Elsea ignored his question and forced her lips downward, aware that they were in danger of curving upward. Everett stopped again, and Elsea read the sign in front of the building they'd stopped at. The Ravenion Inn. It looked small yet cozy, and when they walked inside, they were hit with a blast of heat. 

"We'll stay here for the night." Everett told Elsea, and she wondered where he usually slept. 

The innkeeper had a friendly face, with lines that crinkled when he smiled. "How may I help you?" He said gruffly, over the noise. People were drinking and eating at tables, and Elsea was again struck by the sensation of being out of place. The food they ate were cheap and simple-bread, cheese, fish, and glasses of ale. Nothing like the four course meals at the palace, ladled with fancy sauces. A familiar feeling sunk into Elsea's stomach. 

"Two rooms, please." Everett said, pressing some brown coins onto the desk. Elsea threw a jewel  onto the desk as a tip. Everett gave her a exasperated look that spoke volumes. 

"The two rooms on the far left." The innkeeper said, eyes growing wide at the sight of the jewel. 

"You need to stop doing that." Everett hissed as they walked. "And take a shower." Elsea ignored him and opened the door to her room, glancing at Everett as he opened his. 

"Let me know if you need anything." Everett said sincerely. 

"Thanks." Elsea said, and saw his eyes widen in surprise before she closed the door. 

As much as she wanted to ignore Everett, (which seemed to happened a lot) Elsea needed to be clean. The days in the forest had taken its toll on her, dirt and grime clinging to her hair and skin. The room was small and minimal, a bed and bathroom for one. 

Elsea turned on the faucet, warm water slowly filling up the bathtub. At least she wasn't totally following Everett's suggestion, because she was taking a bath. Bottles of lotions, perfumes, soaps, shampoos, and conditioners were neatly lined up around the bath, which surprised her. She'd expected a brown lump of soap and a small tub. She let her clothes fall to the floor, before sinking into the welcoming water. 

Elsea resisted the groan of pleasure that rose to her lips, the steam billowing and turning the room foggy. It felt amazing, and the hot water ebbed the soreness out of her muscles. She selected a bar of soap labeled lavender and began to cleanse herself. She used her fingernails to scrub the dirt from her skin, before lathering on the delicious smelling soap. Bubbles kissed her skin as she worked eucalyptus and tea tree shampoo into her hair, and she felt peaceful and relaxed in the comforting foam. 

When she was done, Elsea used a fluffy mint-green towel to dry herself off. They provided a clean nightdress, which Elsea stepped into gratefully. Her ratty brown dress and soiled undergarments were thrown in a pile on the floor unceremoniously. After brushing her hair so it was smooth, Elsea went to bed feeling refreshed and light. 

___

Sorry! Another short update :( 

Don't worry though, the pace will pick up soon...