Chapter Four

Photo of Jake
---------------------

Rosaline and I shared an art class last period, which meant we didn't have to worry about tracking each other down after the final bell. Jay, on the other hand, had chemistry on the other side of the building, so we had agreed to meet right outside the school. Jay sent us a group message right as we stepped into the late August heat saying that she had to talk to Mrs Lanny, and that she would be a little late.

"Hey, I'm gonna run over and say goodbye to Jake before we leave," Rosaline said, nodding toward a group of football players walking out towards the field. "I'll be back in five."

Rosaline darted away before I could protest, leaving me standing alone outside the school. With a heavy sigh, I set my bag on the ground and took a seat at the top of the steps. I felt a pang of jealousy, as I watched students and even some teachers get into their cars and drive away.

After ten minutes of impatiently waiting for either Rosaline or Jaylenne, I felt a presence behind me.

"Finally," I said, grabbing my bag off the ground and standing up. I turned around and froze.

"I'm sorry," Adam said, an amused smile on his face. Cameron stood next to him, looking equally entertained. "Did we keep you waiting?"

"Um... No," My eyes shot to the door, hoping that Jaylenne would walk out at that very moment and save me from an uncomfortable interaction with Adam and his friend. "I was waiting for someone else."

"Oh, come on Newbie," Cameron took a step towards me and threw an arm over my shoulder. "You don't wanna hang out with the 'coolest kids on the block?"

"My name isn't Newbie," I said, and shrugged Cameron's arm off my shoulder. Cameron took the hint and stepped back.

"Her name is Shakespeare," Adam chimed in, not taking his eyes off of me.

"It's not-" I started to say before Cameron cut me off.

"Isn't that some old, dead dude?" He asked, suddenly confused. He looked me up and down. "Were your parents stoned when the named you?"

"Sorry, I'm late!" Jaylenne strutted up to us, saving me from having to continue my 'conversation' with the two most annoying people I have ever met.

Finally.

"Cameron, Adam," She nodded her head and glared respectively.

"Jaylenne," Adam smirked, earning him a deeper glare from my new.... acquaintance?

"What do you want?" Jaylenne questioned as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Nothing from you," Adam responded. "What about you, Cameron."

"I'm good," He chimed in, taking another step back.

"Great," Jaylenne gave a him a nasty sneer. "Then leave."

"No problem," Adam glanced at me one last time. He gave me a small head nod, before walking past us and down the stairs, Cameron in tow.

"What a freak," Jaylenne said, finally relaxing once Adam and Cameron were a safe distance away.

"Is he always so..." I trailed off, trying to find the right word.

"Conceited? Rude? Unbelievably irritating?" Jaylenne offered.

"Sure," I said, still watching Adam and Cameron walk through the parking lot. They climbed into a dark red 1967 Impala and sped off.

"Hey, Girlies," Rose skipped up to us, an oblivious smile on her face. "Ready to go?"