Chapter Five

Photo of Jaylenne
----------------------------

After school, Jaylenne, Rosaline, and I met just outside of classroom 182. This was where the school's one and only chess team met every Tuesday and Thursday night. At least that's what the sign up sheet outside of the girl's bathroom had told us.

"Are you ready?" Rosaline asked Jaylenne. She placed a hand on her friend's arm as a sign of support.

"I don't know, Rosey," Jaylenne replied, she began biting her lip as she stared at the classroom door like it was the entrance into purgatory rather than a mediocre chess club with a only seven official members.

"You have all your notes and we have practiced your pitch a hundred times," I chimed in, hoping to encourage her to enough to finally open the door. "You are ready for this."

"I know," Jaylenne shook her head and looked down at her feet. "It's not that..."

"Then what is it?" I asked, confused.

"It's just..." She let out a heavy sigh. "It's just that they are greasy."

"Greasy?" Now I was really confused.

"You know..." Jay shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "I don't think they shower."

"Are you serious," I gave Jay a hard stare, "We have been standing out here for fifteen minutes because you are worried about them smelling bad?"

"I have a sensitive nose!" Jaylenne countered, "What if I start gagging, and then they get offended, and then I lose their votes for good!"

"That won't happen," I explained, "besides, I'm sure they shower."

"Ughh," Jaylenne let out a frustrated groan. She closed her eyes for a moment, then when she opened them she said, "Fine. I'm ready."

"Great," Rose clapped her hands together. "Then let's go."

Jaylenne took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

Immediately, all seven pairs of eyes were on us, most of them were wide with surprise, as if it wasn't very often that their chess team got visitors.

"Hello, everyone," Jaylenne gave a shakey smile and a small wave. None of chess team members waved back. They still seemed to be in shock. 

"Are you here to join the team?" A small girl with long purple hair and thick rimmed glasses asked.

"No," Jaylenne replied too quickly, "We are actually here to talk to you about the student president election."

A tall skinny boy with freckles scoffed. I recognized the kid from my history class. His name was Andy. "What, don't tell me you are running for class president."

I felt Jaylenne tense next to me. This couldn't be good.

"And so what if I am?" She crossed her arms and sent a venomous glare at Andy. All semblance of civility gone.

"Come on," The boy rolled his eyes. "You are the girl that skips class every other day to go shopping or get her nails done. Why should we trust you to represent us or lead our class?"

"Excuse me, but I have only skipped class once to get my nails done, and it was an emergency," Jay explained, as if it would help her case any. "And you should trust me because I care about making this school a better place. For everyone."

Andy and Jaylenne stared at each other, and the tension in the room grew with each passing second.

Finally Andy smiled coolly and crossed his arms over his chest.