Chapter Six

Photo of Cameron
-----------------------------

Dad and I arrived to school early on friday so he could plan some upcoming projects. Apparently, it was really hard for him to focus at home with Deborah around. While Dad worked at his desk, I sat in my usual spot up front and worked on my story. As I wrote, I thought about what Adam had said the day I had met him.

'Seems unrealistic.'

His words echoed through my head as my pen scribbled across my notebook. What did he know anyway? He probably has never been in a relationship. But then again, I've never been in one either. I had my fair share of crushes, but I was always too afraid to let anyone close to me. I garnered all of my knowledge on love and relationships from books.

I could never expect Adam to understand. He probably has girls all over him everyday looking for a one night stand or whatever attention he was willing to give. There would never be any love in that though. but I'm sure that's how he prefers it.

Slowly, students started filing into the classroom. I slid my story notebook back into my bag and took out my English one. When I looked back up, I nearly peed myself.

Adam had somehow slid into the seat next to me without making a sound, scaring the bageebies out of me.

"Oh, come on," he teased, his annoying(ly handsome) smirk plastered on his face. "I'm not that scary."

"I wasn't scared," I lied.

"Sure, Newbie," Cameron, who sat down at the table behind us, rolled his eyes, "You jumped so high, I thought you were flying."

"My name is Amelia," I sent a glare Cameron's way. "Don't you guys usually sit in the back?"

"Usually," Adam leaned back in his seat and threw his feet unto the table, but offered no further explanation for why he was choosing to sit at the front of the class.

"Then why are you up here?"

"What? Are we not allowed to sit by our friend?" Cameron gave me an innocent smile.

"I wasn't aware that we were friends," I answered.

"Oh, Shakespeare," Adam said, playfully shaking his head, "You wound me."

Adam and Cameron spent the entire class period messing around, whether it was throwing stuff at each other or whispering dumb jokes, and I spent the entire period shushing them and shooting glares, which they ignored.

After what felt like eternity, the bell finally rang.

"Hey," Adam said as I began packing my belongings into my bag. "You been to Sal's Pizza yet?"

"No," I answered. I had heard about it. For whatever reason, it was where everyone hung out in this town. Probably because there was nothing better to do.

"Why don't you come with us after school? We are going to stop and get a bite before we head to the beach," Adam shrugged.

"I'm actually going shopping with Jay and Rose..." I bit my lip, hoping he wouldn't see through my lie.

It's not that pizza and the beach didn't sound fun (it definitely did), or that I had an issue with Adam (aside from his comments on my book and his obnoxious behavior in class), I just didn't think it was a good idea to get close to him. Being friends with Jay and Rose was tricky enough with my curse, but at least they spent so much time focusing on themselves that they didn't seem interested in telling me what to do.

Adam and Cameron, on the other hand, seemed dangerous for my curse. They were rowdy and bossy and I had no doubts that if I hung out with them, my secret would be out.