chapter two

A phone call from her publicist before Karina arrived at the studio was never a good sign.

“Good morning, Suho.”

“Yes, right, good morning,” her publicist said. He didn’t bother with small talk, which Karina appreciated. “Have you seen the response to your red-carpet stunt?”

Karina bristled. “I wasn’t aware I had pulled any kind of stunt.”

“People think you and your assistant are dating.”

Karina couldn’t help a short laugh.

“I’m not joking,” Suho said. “We have to get ahead of this.”

“Suho.” Karina tried to keep the incredulity out of her voice. He was only trying to do his job. “There’s nothing to get ahead of.”

“This rumor is going to get legs,” Suho said. “And we don’t need to give anyone any ammunition when it comes to reasons you shouldn’t be involved with Black Mamba.”

He never bullshitted her, she had to give him that. Suho didn’t sugarcoat his opinion.

“I don’t comment on my love life,” Karina said. “And I’ll be officially announced as writer and producer of Black Mamba on Thursday—that’ll be enough to make them forget about whatever this is.”

“Since you aren’t actually dating your assistant”—he said it with less certainty than Karina would’ve hoped—“this isn’t technically your love life. A short denial, nothing special.”

“I know Wendy stressed that there would be no such denials before she handed you the reins here.”

Wendy had been Karina's publicist since she was thirteen. Not commenting on her love life began because no teenager needs that kind of public scrutiny. Karina grew up, but the no comment policy stuck. Nothing changed when Wendy retired two years ago.

“Ms. Yoo, you do not need any more bad press at this moment,” Suho said. “A short statement would be an easy fix.”

Suho obviously couldn’t see her, but Karina shook her head anyway.

“A short statement after almost thirty years of never commenting would not be an easy fix,” she said. “You know better than that.”

Suho sighed. Karina could only assume it was because she was right.

“Perhaps Winter could—”

“Do not involve Winter in this,” Karina said.

“She’s already involved. And most of what’s being written isn’t particularly complimentary.”

Karina's fingers twitched. The thought of Winter being disparaged in the media made her consider letting Suho make a statement.

“Leave it be,” she said instead. “It’ll pass.”

Suho sighed again, but he didn’t fight her. They said their goodbyes as Winter pulled up to the studio.

From the look on Winter's face as she stood by her desk with Karina's coffee in hand, she’d seen the rumors. Karina made a split-second decision to pretend she herself hadn’t.

“Thank you,” she said, taking her coffee.

Winter followed her into her office, which wasn’t unusual. She often gave Karina a rundown of the schedule for the day first thing. But today, as Karina put her bag down and hung up her jacket, Winter simply stood there, twisting her fingers together.

“Did you need something?” Karina asked.

“Um,” Winter said. “Ms. Yoo.” She paused. “Have you by any chance seen TMZ this morning?”