Chapter seven

Later in the night, Jisoo was putting their names in to sing, and Winter had lost track of Beomgyu. She wandered outside to look for him and spotted Karina and Lia standing at a high table in the corner of the roof. She grinned and headed over.

"Ms. Yoo, I've signed you up to sing 'Love Is a Battlefield,'" Winter said as she approached. "I think you're up after Yuna."

Winter hadn't, of course. She liked teasing Karina, but she didn't want her boss to kill her. Karina offered a smile and a roll of her eyes. Winter couldn't help but giggle. She knew she was tipsy. Perhaps more than tipsy.

Lia cleared her throat. "I'm going to get another drink," she said.

Winter wanted to tell her she didn't have to go. Winter liked to think everyone on set knew she and Karina weren't together. They should've known. But then something happened like Beomgyu made fun of her for sleeping with the enemy or Lia excused herself when Winter came over.

Karina sighed. "Ms. Kim," she said. "Enjoying yourself?"

"I am. Are you?"

Winter wasn't asking to be polite; she wanted to know.

"Wrap parties are always enjoyable," Karina hedged.

Winter's smile turned into a frown. "Ms. Yoo."

"I think you get to call me Karina at a party," Karina said, like she hadn't just called Winter Ms. Kim.

"Boss," Winter said instead. "I was really proud you-or well, we, like, the show-won the GLAAD award. I didn't really say anything but I was. And your speech was really wonderful. But also, like-" She looked at her drink, rattled the ice around in her glass. She didn't know exactly what she wanted to say, but kept talking anyway. "My sister said you looked great and you did but-you didn't look all that happy. And it's probably stupid but I thought about the SAG Awards and I kind of wished I was there at the GLAADs. I thought maybe I could make you smile, is all. Sometimes I don't think you smile enough."

Karina blinked. Winter felt stupid. She didn't think she explained herself well.

"I just mean-" Winter furrowed her brow. "It's basically my job to make you happy."

Karina did something between a scoff and a sigh, and Winter didn't understand it at all.

"Whatever," Winter said. "I just want you to be happy, and if I am sometimes the one who makes you that way, great."

That felt too heavy. God, especially with the rumors, what was Winter thinking, coming over and saying this to Karina? She tried to power through like it wasn't awkward.

"I can probably make you laugh, actually," she said. "My sister and I are doing 'A Whole New World' from Aladdin next on karaoke. You should come watch."

"Have you done the proper warm-ups?" Karina's voice was overly serious.

"If singing backup while Seulgi rocked 'Build Me Up Buttercup' counts as warm-ups."

That, at least, got Karina to smile. Winter took a sip of her drink to hide her grin.

"You know I appreciate everything you do, Winter," Karina said. "That award belongs to you, too-I wouldn't get half as much done without you."

Winter shrugged it off. "Sure you would."

"I wouldn't," Karina insisted.

She held eye contact for a moment before glancing over Winter's shoulder.

"I believe your sister is trying to get your attention," she said. "It must be your time to sing."

"Right," Winter said. She turned to go, then turned back. "You really should come watch. Better than the original, I swear."