Day Twenty - Last Ten Days in Ramadan

As we head into the last ten nights of Ramadan, Islam Channel considers the reasons why these days are so revered.

‘Iqra!’ (Recite) was the first word of the Quran that Prophet Muhammed (SAW) was commanded to utter by angel Jibril (AS). It’s the night Allah (SWT) first revealed the Quran to mankind.  

We all know the Quran was revealed on Laylat al-Qadr - the Night of Decree. But what day in the month of Ramadan is that actually? It’s a conundrum: no one knows for sure. And so, as Muslims we look for the night by worshipping in the last ten nights of Ramadan.

Out of those ten nights, it’s believed that it is most likely an odd night. And of those odd nights, typically many Muslims believe it to be on the 27th. But we can’t be that certain, says Sheikh Saalim Al-Azhari, a regular contributor to Islam Channel’s ‘IslamiQA’ and ‘Conversations in The Quran’.    

“The Sahabas said different days,” he says. “There are over 40 opinions on when it could be”.  

“There is a kind of assumption [amongst many Muslims] that it’s the 27th but there is nothing in the authentic hadiths to say it is unequivocally that day.”

The exact date of Laylatul Qadr is unknown, although it is thought to occur on an odd night in the last 10 days of Ramadan (e.g. the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27 or 29th night). The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “Seek it in the last 10 days, on the odd nights,” (Hadith, Bukhari and Muslim).

Nana A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (pbuh) would exert his best (in worship) during the last 10 days (of Ramadan) more than at other times.” [Muslim]

Increasing prayer and reciting the Qur’an.

Sincerely praying for forgiveness, reciting the holy Qur’an, sending salawat (blessings upon the Prophet) and offering optional (nafl) prayers are examples of beneficial acts of worship on these nights.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) would stand in prayer during the last ten nights of Ramadan, praying for forgiveness. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever prays on Laylatul Qadr out of faith and sincerity, shall have all their past sins forgiven” (Hadith, Bukhari and Muslim).

The exact date of Laylatul Qadr is unknown, although it is thought to occur on an odd night in the last 10 days of Ramadan (e.g. the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27 or 29th night). The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “Seek it in the last 10 days, on the odd nights,” (Hadith, Bukhari and Muslim).

Lady A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (pbuh) would exert his best (in worship) during the last 10 days (of Ramadan) more than at other times.” [Muslim]

Increasing prayer and reciting the Qur’an

Sincerely praying for forgiveness, reciting the holy Qur’an, sending salawat (blessings upon the Prophet) and offering optional (nafl) prayers are examples of beneficial acts of worship on these nights.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) would stand in prayer during the last ten nights of Ramadan, praying for forgiveness. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever prays on Laylatul Qadr out of faith and sincerity, shall have all their past sins forgiven” (Hadith, Bukhari and Muslim).

As Muslims, we regularly engage in worship and remember and glorify Allah, but we all recognise that certain times of the year have particular significance. And finding Laylat al-Qadr in the last ten nights of Ramadan is one such period.

There are many verses in the Quran that refer to Laylat al-Qadr, including the first few verses of Surah Ad-Dukhan and the whole of Surah Al-Qadr. There are also numerous hadiths about the importance of the last ten nights.  

The last 10 days and nights hold even more significance as they are full of even greater reward and blessings. These days are a chance for us to reap the benefits of Ramadan and seek salvation before the month comes to an end.

__________________________________

#Du'aoftheday

I found this dua' list really beautiful  Beautifully worded, to help you speak to your Lord, especially on the night's of Laylatul Qadr

#Dua:

Ya Rahman, Ya Raheem,,Ya Rabb al Alameen

Grant me death with the shahadah on my tongue امين

Expand my grave for me and illuminate it with light امين

Lighten for me the questioning of the grave امين

Grant me death in a state of Ibadah, resurrect me in the same state امين

Keep me free from fear, anxiety and terror of the DOJ (day of judgement) امين

Grant my book in my right hand امين

Make me among those who show their books to others with happiness امين

Help me cross the Siraat like lightening امين

Reunite me with my family in Jannah امين

Do not expose my faults in front of others on the DOJ (day of judgement) امين

Ya Allah, Forgive the sins that I don't remember and the sins that I didn't even consider as sins امين

Cleanse my heart from malice, jealousy, hatred, self-admiration,show off, envy امين

Grant me the ability to forgive others امين

Grant me soft speech, protect my tongue from lying,backbiting,hurting others امين

Grant me beautiful patience امين

Bless my parents,forgive them,Grant them good health and make me a sadaqa jariyah for them  امين

Bless me and my siblings n their marriages. Bind us together with love. Do not let shaytan break our bond. امين

Grant all the single Muslims and married Muslims the coolness of their eyes. امين
____________________________________

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

~maryambintisa