Chapter 2

"So, you guys are going?" Katie asked me. I had told her about how Cameron and I were going tomorrow. "Yea! We're gonna solve that crime!" I answered. The truth was I was a big fan of detectives. I had always wanted to be one since I was a kid. Now that an interesting crime had happened nearby, I found it as an opportunity to see if I was capable of being one. "I'm surprised they didn't close the convention." She said. 

I nodded. "I'm not really sure either, none of the articles I've read ever said anything about it." I shrugged. "Just makes it more interesting." I waved at her as I walked over to my locker and opened it, putting my backpack inside and grabbing my binder and some books I needed. 

As I closed my locker Cameron tapped my shoulder. "Oh hey." I looked at him. "Hey, Devin." I looked at the wall where the clock was. "Shoot, we need to get to class," I told him while speed walking passed him. "C'mon," I said to him as I was walking. He started to follow me. 

"Make sure you finish your homework before Monday." Our Algebra teacher said to us. I quickly gathered my things and headed out of the class. It was lunchtime so I headed down the stairs and into the lunchroom. I sat where I usually sat. A lot of kids were there, greeting me as a sat down. Remember how I said I was popular? 

I waved at them and waited for our table to be called so we could get our lunch. Usually, I would always see online how school lunches were horrible, but my school lunch wasn't bad at all. After we got our lunches we sat back down and began to eat. Cameron, who sat next to me, started talking. 

"So, how are we getting there?" He asked. I finished chewing my sandwich and turned to him. "We can walk. I don't really want my parents driving me there, and it's not too far." I said and took another bite. He nodded. "Alright, I can walk." He took a bite into his sandwich as well. I took another bite and he asked me another question. "What are we gonna do once we're there?" I finished chewing and turned to him again. "Guess we'll find out when we're there." I took another bite.

"If we're going there late at night, how are we gonna have enough time to do an investigation?" He asked. I finished chewing and laughed. "Can you ask the questions after I'm done eating?" He looked down at his plate. "Sorry, just kinda nervous." I laughed again. "Don't worry bro." I took another bite. 

When I finished my food he asked me the same question. "Well, I was thinking about spending the night there-" He cut me off. "ARE YOU INSANE?" He screamed, a couple of people turned their heads but the lunchroom was too noisy so it didn't bring too much attention. "Yea, I am." I nodded and looked at the clock again. 5 more minutes until my next class, and then I could finally go home and get ready for tomorrow. 

"If we spend the night, then nobody will be there and we can have all the time we need to look around," I explained. He nodded. "Okay, I'll go but I'm not so sure about spending the night there Devin." I nodded back. The bell rang. "I'll call you after school," I said and waved at him.

Finally, the bell rang. It was the end of the day. I headed for my locker and grabbed my backpack. I talked to some people that I hardly knew and headed for my bus. When I got home I ran up to my room, throwing my backpack on my bed. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and dialed Cameron. "Hey, dude." He answered. We chatted for a bit about what we were going to do once we got there. I went to my desk and opened my laptop. I wanted to do some research about the crime and see if I could find any clues in articles about what I should be looking for.

A couple of hours later of researching and preparing I finally felt tired. I got up from my desk and walked towards my bed when I heard something. A bird chirping outside. I rubbed my eyes and ran over to my window, pulling the curtain to the side. It was morning. I had been up all night. I slapped my forehead with my palm and got into bed.