Chapter 7

Evelynn was in her room reading a book. It was late in the evening but they had already had dinner. She put her book down stared blankly in the mirror next to her. Her dark eyes looked tired and quite dull. Her dark blond hair looked drained of colour. She lied back and looked at the ceiling. She was tired even though she had done absolutely nothing that day.

Change must be indeed exhausting. Life was so much easier for her now and yet everything was so inexplicably dull and boring. It was as if life had no meaning - except that one thing... But right now wasn't the time to think about that. She at least considered herself to be lucky for getting out of that filthy foster home. And maybe that was enough for now.

—----------------------------------------------------------------

{2 years back}

The black car stopped in front of a gate. The blonde woman got out of the car and then proceeded to open the door for the girl sitting in the back seat. A man came out of the building behind the gates and opened the door for them. The woman went to hold the girl's hand but the girl pulled her hand away. The woman just smiled down at the girl and started walking towards the building.

"This is your new home, dear" she said and opened the door. " From now on you will be living here. No special room for you. No exceptions because you're new. I will call you later to inform you of the way things work here. You will only listen to me. And most importantly, this is not your idea of a place to stay for free and do as you please, where your parents would love you no matter what. Here is a place where you'll learn to respect those with power. In other words, how to be part of the society as a grown-up." she said getting down to her level and giving an innocent smile.

"You're here only because I let you. So give me one little opportunity to throw you outta here and I will do it without a second thought. Don't expect me to give you any special treatment because you're new or 'cause of your little 'condition'. Understood?" she asked in a calm sweet voice. The girl only furrowed her eyebrows and nodded.

"I said... Did. You. Undersand.?" she asked again through gritted teeth.

The girl didn't tense up. "Yes ma'am" she said, the glare not leaving her face.

"Good girl" the woman said smiling and patted her head. "Now go take your things and ask Thomas to show you to your bed" and then she waked away. "Or just  the last one I guess" she said chuckling.

The girl stared blankly at her back and then went to look for the man who opened the gate for them whom she assumed to be Thomas. He was nowhere to be found so she went back inside and started looking for the room she would be sleeping in.

In the hallways there were kids of all ages walking around chatting, but she wasn't willing to ask any of those for instructions. After a lot of time she managed to find an empty bed in a room which she assumed to be hers and then she went to Miss Davis' office as she was asked to do earlier.

At lunch time after she got her food, she went to sit on a table far away from the other kids. A few minutes later some kids came and sat down beside her and started chatting.

"Hello. What's your name?" a kid opposite her asked her.

She simply ignored her and kept eating even after the girl repeated her question.

"She must be deaf or mute" another girl suggested and the other kids nodded and kept talking.

The girl continued eating and when she was done she was ordered to go outside. She walked out the door and saw a lot of kids running around and playing. She walked down the few steps and then away in a quiet shady corner where she sat down. She looked up and squinted her eyes at the bright sky with the sun shining down at the children.

She hated that bright sun...

A/N

Heeeeeyyyyy people!

So, I know it took me quite a (looong) while to write this chapter, but these two weeks it was really hard for me to update, because:

1. Lack of inspiration, also known as writer's block

2. My very annoying brother, who wouldn't let me use the computer, without starting a fight resulting in none of us using the computer

3. The fights with my mom who wouldn't let me do something on my phone for more than 20 minutes and would pressure me to study

4. My terrible time management. The fact that I pretend to study, while I watch videos on my phone and end up studying at 1 am (it's called lack of motivation, okay?!)

5. School. Each teacher gives us tons of homework and expects us to do everything for the other day to get a decent grade (which I want because I want to keep being a good student) like we have no other subjects to study for. But guess what?! Every single teacher has this same idea. And how do I deal with this? That's right, I do my homework at 1 am and get 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Do I know it's wrong and will ruin my braincells? Yes, yes, I do. Do I keep doing it, while I know how stupid it is? Yes, yes, I do.

Am I the only one who has to deal with all these on a daily basis?

Now that was all, I guess.

So, bye bye

Also, like I said in the first a/n I do not own any of the images I use.