5. A Hard Day's Night

───────────────────────

"YOU WEREN'T ANSWERING your phone, so I thought you were dead!"

"Well, I was unconscious, but I'm glad to know you care about me."

"Of course I care about you, Juno. There isn't anyone in the world I would rather annoy."

"Fuck you, Stephen."

"So you're not in life threatening danger?"

Juno glanced up, looking at Marc who was putting a bunch of knives in his pockets. "Uh, no. No, I'm not. I just came to Egypt to help my friend."

"I didn't know you had friends."

"Okay, I'm hanging up now. Bye!"

"Juno-" But it was too late for Stephen, because she had already hung up, effectively cutting him off. She glanced at Marc and saw he was already looking at her.

She raised her brows. "What?"

"Are you sure you're going to okay to go with me?" Marc asked. "I got enough shit to deal with, I don't need you dying on me."

"Wow, charming." Juno scoffed. "Is that how you won Layla over?"

Marc scowled, obviously not liking Juno's smart-ass comment. "The point is, if you can't fight, you're not really helpful."

"I can be helpful! I can use my wit to outsmart my enemies."

"You exhaust me." Marc sighed.

"It's my pleasure."

Marc huffed, turning to look at the mirror that was in their hotel room. He saw Steven in the mirror, looking over at Juno who was grabbing everything she'd need for their 'adventure'. From Marc's perspective, Steven looked like a love-struck puppy who would do anything for Juno.

"If you let anything happen to her, I swear to Khonshu, Marc-"

"Relax, Romeo, I won't let her get hurt, okay? You're such a worrywart." Marc shook his head. Steven gasped and began rambling in the mirror, all the while Marc was focused on Juno, watching her rewrap her wound before smiling at him. "You ready, Hermione?"

Juno held up her hand. "The Harry Potter jokes are not appreciated," she said. "Besides, I'm a Master of the-"

"Mystic Arts," Marc cut in, laughing under his breath. "I know, I know. You've corrected me about a dozen times already."

"Oh," Juno realized. "Well, I'm not Hermione; I'm better." she paused. "Actually, no, Hermione is way better than me."

"But not nearly as beautiful," Marc heard Steven say absentmindedly. The mercenary shook his head. He really needed to get Juno and Steven to confess their feelings for one another, or working with her was going to be intolerable.