6. Nowhere Man

───────────────────────

 IF MARC SPECTOR was trying to blend in with the crowd within Cairo, he was doing a terrible, terrible job at doing so. He stuck out like a sore thumb in his black baseball cap and his grey shirt amongst the crowd that had gathered in the town square he and Juno were in.

Juno looked a little bit more like a local, but not much better. She chose to wear a pair of dark jeans accompanied by a white t-shirt and a cardigan the color of the sand beneath her feet. She was sweating profusely, but at least she didn't look like an American!

"I wonder why everyone's staring at me oddly," mumbled Marc and he and Juno strolled through the crowds of people who were eyeing him up suspiciously.

"Maybe it's because your disguise is terrible," Juno retorted.

Marc gasped, looking down at his outfit. "Are you joking? This is a great disguise!"

"You just look like you, but if you were going to a baseball game." Marc pouted. "Just don't do anything out of the ordinary and no one will suspect anything."

Nodding, Marc gestured to one of the street vendors. "You want something?"

"No, I'm okay."

"Have you eaten at all today?"

"Have you?"

"I asked you first."

"Well, I asked you second."

"That doesn't mean anything, Juno."

"Excuse me," one of the street vendors interrupted in Arabic. "I would just like to say that you two make a lovely couple." He held up a box of rings. "Could I interest you, sir, in buying a ring for your beautiful lady?"

Juno's eyes popped out of her head, while Marc struggled to find the words to respond to the man. "No, thank you, but I appreciate the offer," he replied. Marc made a move to walk away, but when he saw Juno wasn't making any effort to follow him, he grunted before grabbing her hand and walked away.

"He thought we were a couple," Juno whispered, still in disbelief. "What has my life come to?"

"It's not that big of a deal," Marc argued.

"Maybe not to you!"

"What, are you afraid your good-old fashioned lover boy is gonna be offended that some random guy thought you and I were together?" asked Marc.

"I love that song," Juno mumbled.

"So do I." Marc hummed. "Come on, let's go." The mercenary continued to weave himself and Juno throughout the crowds, making sure that she was okay every few minutes. Soon, he arrived at the vendor he needed to talk to. "I'll take one," he announced. The man turned around, looked Marc up and down before gathering the ingredients he needed.