3.0 °𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐊𝐄

JINX; AUGUST

⚠️CHAPTER TW⚠️: Vomiting

"So like, who invented magic?!" I fired away, question after question tumbling from my lips. "Is there more than one magic school? Did you go to Hogwhatever? When do I start?"

"Enough. Enough. Enough with the questions!" Professor Snape rattled himself against the wheel, gripping onto the leather upholstery. "Magic has always existed. Yes, there is more than one academy of magic. The other schools are Beauxbatons, Castelobruxo, Durmstrang, Koldovstoretz, Mahoutokoro, Uagadou, and lastly Ilvermorny, the school you would have attended in America. However, the Malfoy's live in Europe so therefore you shall attend Hogwarts."

He inhaled deeply, his long ranting extracting his remaining energy and patience.

"Oh, okay." Tidbit after tidbit slammed into my skull. I hungrily consumed the lore he fed me, insatiable for more. "Can you tell me about my...family? Is that the right word?"

"Right." Professor Snape huffed, scratching rhythmically on the back of his pale curved neck. "Your precious little family who has no consideration for others and their time." His tone was bitter, unrelentingly irritated at the mention of them. "You have Aunt. Her name is Narcissa Malfoy. Maiden name Black, just like her older sister, your mother. Her husband is Lucius Malfoy, your Uncle. He's quite the character. Along with them, you have a cousin your age. His name is Draco. There, all caught up on your pretentious blood kin."

"I have a cousin?!"

"Don't get too excited." He snorted disparagingly. "Trust me, he's just as much of a prat as his parents."  Professor Snape shot me a sideways glance. His gaze lingered, attempting to articulate something. "You're quite lucky. Your orphaned upbringing may just be your saving grace. It is the reason why you'll never be a Malfoy. No matter how hard you try. You have Black blood coursing through your flimsy little veins. You are a Black."

He pressed the title into me. Black. Whatever that name meant, whatever it entailed, I supposed that it was mine. And I was just glad to finally have something.

"Jinx Black?"

"Jinx Lestrange." Professor Snape corrected. "Your mother took her husband, Rodolphus Lestrange's last name."

"I have a Dad?" My voice quavered, shaking with anticipation.

"No. I don't know many things but I know and everyone knows that he cannot be your father." He explained as flatly as distilled water.
"It's a well-known fact that Rodolphus was out of the country for the entire year of your possible conception. He was on a mission trip to recruit other members for...never mind that." He cut himself off before revealing something. But what could it be? What was Rodolphus recruiting for?
"All you need to know is that he can't be your father. No one knows who he could be. The only thing the general public knows is that after your mother was sent to Azkaban you vanished. Right out of thin air. No one could find you, hence the orphan upbringing."

"Orphan upbringing," I repeated, my heart thick and heavy. I had been hoping that I'd at least have a dad. I always wanted one. Someone to take care of me and protect me so I wouldn't have to. I just wanted someone.
"Can we go?" I murmured, quieting as the whirlwind of my thoughts flew about in my head. Hope peaked through when I thought of my new family. Although from what Professor Snape described they weren't much of a family. "I won't ask any more questions, Professor. I swear."

"You want to go?" He cocked his head with slight curiosity, his brown eyes narrowing. "Very well then. Just hold on tight. The Malfoy's wouldn't want to lose you again." Professor Snape stiffly offered out his arm. As if by touching him I'd dirty him with my filthy orphan self. "Come on, Child. We don't have all night."

"Hold on tight?"

"Take the blasted arm."

"Fineeeeee!"

My speech was stretched out as I was catapulted through a mystery tunnel. Professor Snape's arm remained locked with mine. The nerves on my skin felt burned off. My flesh was sucked into my bones while I was slurped up through strange bright flashing lights.

Then, all of a sudden, we stopped. I felt like my body kept going whereas my soul remained planted. This created a snapping back sensation when we arrived.

Malfoy Manor had to be the grandest place I had ever stepped into in my life. Even the hallway we had unexplainably appeared in was larger than any room I had ever inhabited.

Between miserable pale-faced portraits, lavish decorations draped across the rich dark walls. It could have been my splitting headache but I could have sworn that the paintings moved. The painting's eyes widened as Professor Snape escorted—more like dragged—me down the hallway.

"Don't touch anything." He ordered, yanking me toward the lone exit at the end of the hall. The door was egregiously tall, made for a giant. Attached to it was a bronze handle shining maliciously.

"But the- The paintings..." I stuttered, blinking back at the beautifully crafted portraits. Every person immortalized in the art dug their stare into me, each of them looking directly at me. "They're looking- They're looking at me. Look!" Nausea set in at that moment, settling into my skull. My stomach knotted, flip-flopping under the confines of my skin.
"Oh, oh God." Trailed from my gaping mouth. "I think I'm gonna be sick." My body turned into dead weight, falling to the plush carpet beneath me. Retching leaped from my throat, pushing to leave my body. I looked frantically on the floor for something to spew in.

"No! Child, control yourself!" Professor Snape hissed, grabbing for me. Too late. Warm vomit ejected from my body, spilling into a marbled vase. Gasps sounded from the wall like a symphony, joining each other in a chorus.

"Oh my!"

"Ew!"

"Not in my vase! William Turncap gifted that to me!"

"Devil Child!"

An acrid taste burned my taste buds. I spit out the remains, looking up at him with watery eyes. I couldn't believe I had thrown up. Especially before meeting my new family. Especially in such a pretty vase. I cursed myself silently, face flushing.

"Sorry, Professor." The muscles around my mouth tensed up, my gaze darting away from the horror-struck man while I blathered. "I didn't mean to. It's a uh new dance move I've been working on. It's called the choke."

"Get up." He demanded, roughly jerking me to my feet. "Go." Professor Snape pushed me toward the door. "Try not to repeat that going in. Go!"

I followed his instructions, hand smoldering from the iciness of the doorknob. Turning it, the hinges gave a sickening creak, welcoming me in.

"Jinxon?" A woman's voice uttered lightly upon my entry. "It's you. You- You look just like her."