Chapter Ten - Alphabet

(A/N: Don't mind everyone screaming Hey Burrito, it's something a lot of my teachers use to get our attention)

"Hey burrito!" Luna called.

"Hey burrito!" The class chanted back. Mako stared around in confusion. Burrito? Why? Where?

"Welcome to our Shrek Musical Auditions! You all have one minute to finish your snacks and then we'll get started." Luna fluffed her wings, clambering onto a stone perch, which was about half the size of an adult MudWing, near her desk.

"I'M SO EXCITED!" Mako exclaimed, excitement bubbling and fizzing like sparkling water.

"Mmph hmm." Swallowtail announced, cramming a bundle of candied persimmon bits and chewy honey drops into her mouth.

"Spit that out." Pine demanded lightheartedly, flicking a tail at the SilkWing.

"Let her." Swift rolled her eyes and nudged the LeafWing beside her playfully.

Thirty seconds had passed, with Swallowtail chewing faster by the second. Caramel cast a glance at her and decided to chime in, "GO GO GO!"

"GO GO GO!" Mako and Swift began to chant. Pine and Butterfly reluctantly joined in as well, but quieter. Mako arched a brow at them. They're probably just concerned.

And as Luna roared, "Time's up!", Swallowtail swallowed the mass of honey and fruit. Swift and Caramel whooped with delight, congratulating her, while the other two laughed in nervous relief. Mako swiveled her head to watch Luna, who's glorious wings were spread like an eagle's.

"Alright!" Luna announced. "This part will be simple. There is a hat below me," she flicked a tail below the rock spire at a scarlet velvet top hat, "with slips of paper inside. Half of them are marked with S and half with A. I will tell you what they mean after they are drawn."

Silence.

Luna rolled her eyes. "That means come on."

Surprised wingbeats and talonsteps cautiously approached the hat and drew names. Mako sauntered over to the hat and peered down. It was like an ocean; holding enough mystery to change fate. The scale could tip either way. What if S is bad? What if A is bad? What if these letter choose whether or not I can stay? What if this is a method of elimination?

Mako took a deep breath. It has been since that strange night last night that she'd gotten noticeably more cautious. How could a slip of paper be bad? Then again, how could dinner be bad?

The SeaWing dragoness drew a paper and skittered back to Bear's group. Bear's warm amber gaze lit up like torchlight when he saw her.

"Heyyy, Mako!" Bear greeted with a high five, their talons meeting with a crackling slap. "You're back!"

"You know it!" Mako grinned with a sing-song tone.

"Soooo... What'd you get?" Grackle asked, peering over Mako's wing. The SeaWing drew her wings back in and unfolded the paper. Slowly... until it read:

S

"S..." Mako sat back on her haunches, swishing her thick tail. She looked up at Bear, who's eyes were polished and round, shining in curiosity with the hues of dried tree sap. Mako blinked at him. "What do you think it means?"

"Uh..." Bear pondered for a moment, then his face fell completely focused. "Saxophone."

Mako barked a wholehearted laugh, and Koala pitched in, "Sharknado!"

"Sapphires?" Grackle guessed.

"Okay, now you all are just being idiots." Wolverine laughed, shoving his spectacles up his dusty brown snout with a claw. "Think of things actually related to what we're doing."