Chapter Eleven - Finding Your Voice

"So every girl that I meet, yeah, this is what I say."

It had been dragging on like this for a while now, with dragons displaying their talents in the choir cave. Dr. Bumblebee had politely (or as polite as a seasick alligator) asked (demanded) that the dragons not listen in, as others may be insecure about their voices. Mako, however, was intrigued on the other's talents. Perhaps as long as she didn't say anything...

"So you better run, run, run away, run away baby."

An echoing clap sounded from the other side of the door, obviously from Bumblebee, who shouted, "BRAVO! BRAVISSIMO!"

"Moons above." Caramel hissed under her breath. "How are we not supposed to hear in there?"

"Hah, I don't know." Mako admitted with a bark of laughter. Pine shoved open the door and strode from the room, a bold and confident glimmer shining through his nearly unreadable face.

"Nice job, Pine!" Mako smiled, rushing up to the LeafWing.

"I know, right!" Pine beamed, beginning to skip over to Swift.

"Wow, someone's in a hurry." Caramel stated, staring after the determined LeafWing. "Looks like he was just told he landed the lead role."

"Shrek?" Mako arched a brow in Pine's direction. "He doesn't seem..."

"Open?" Caramel guessed. "Doesn't easily show much emotion? Snappy?"

"Well..." Mako didn't want to offend the LeafWing. "Maybe?"

"Heh." Caramel shifted her gaze to her claws, which were twirling a dried maple leaf the size of her talon. "Figured you'd say that. Always seems that way before you get to know a dragon. But if you've known him as long as I have, there's more to him than what meets the eye. You just have to really look sometimes."

"Yeah..." Mako had no clue how to respond to that. That... THAT was a really good statement. Like a main character statement. Her own kind of epic, even as crazy and wild and carefree as she is.

"BOREALIS!"

A pastel rainbow dragon shot past the two, and the air that followed dragged the leaf into the choir cave with him. Borealis looked over his shoulder with a knowing glance at Mako before closing the door.

"What was that?" Mako pondered. "He looked at me like he was trying to tell me something with his mind. Do I look like a NightWing?"

Caramel shrugged and picked at the stone floor, trying unsuccessfully to dislodge a chunk of stone.

"Hm..." Mako hesitated. "Stonemover?"

Caramel flew up in a frenzy of panic and held a claw to Mako's snout. "SHH!"

"What?" Mako flared her wings innocently.

Caramel glanced around, then lowered her voice to a whisper. "Tsunami doesn't like us talking about him."

Mako's mind was venturing through possible reasons. "Why?"

"She thinks saying his name will summon him." Caramel replied.

"What do you mean?"

Caramel sighed, then went on. "They call it The Year We Forgot. It was a simple year at Jade Mountain, but dragonets there had heard rumors of a murder. The word... you know... was thrown left and right, and suddenly an onslaught of possessed ghosts flooded the school. Their eyes were blood red as they killed every student there. The families of these dragons were furious and threatened to shut down the school, but suddenly they all forgot. Nobody knows why. Other dragons began to forget the dragons who went there, and now only The Dragonets Of Destiny remember. We only know of this year due to a document found by a dragonet four years ago, the next year after after slaughter."