Part 18

"He really is doing fine, he's just being secretive."

Cale frowned at the report. Apparently Roksu hadn't left his room much since Cale's departure. Leaving for meals and once for the tea shop and then staying in his room like a person who was actually capable of being lazy.

"...suspicious." Cale grumbled before smiling gratefully at Basen's worried face over the communication orb. "Thank you, dongsaeng. Please let me know if he does anything crazy. How are your studies going?"

Basen's face lit up with excitement as he peeled into a rather boring description of some historical event that normally wouldn't interest anyone. Cale listened with a soft smile though, encouraging Basen to continue until the boy had sated himself.

It was nice. To actually be able to be Basen's brother this time around. Cale still had his insecurities as an imperfect brother who couldn't do everything for his siblings but it was moments like these that let him know how much the small things mattered.

It hurt his heart to know that Basen probably hadn't had many people to share his excitement and interests with in his last life. A glaringly absent part of his presence as an older brother had just been the act of just being there. Listening and encouraging and allowing his brother to express himself openly.

Basen didn't need someone to protect him from the nebulous disapproval of distant relatives, although Cale still did that only in different ways, he needed someone to be his companion. His brother.

"You're really close with your family." Alberu said once the call had ended. Cale hid his smile, coughing awkwardly and looking away in embarrassment. He wasn't ashamed, it was just that he'd become so engrossed in the call that he'd forgotten that Alberu was even there.

"Anything wrong with that?" Cale retorted defensively.

Alberu shook his head, smiling a bit sadly. "I think it's great."

Alberu had certainly never had that from the royal family. Although his aunt Tasha gave him plenty of familial love, there was a certain hole in his heart where entities like 'father' and 'brothers' ought to fill.

The ongoing tension and rivalry with the second and third prince. His fathers utter disinterest with him.

It made him just a bit jealous seeing Cale smile so affectionately at his younger brother. Even without blood tying them together, they were a family. And even with blood tying them together, Alberu had no concept of family with his brothers and father.

Most days they felt more like obstacles than people, much less family.

Cale caught the melancholy and inquired before he could stop himself. "Homesick?"

That was unlikely to be the case. Tasha the dark elf was among their escorts and Cale knew well enough about Alberu's relationship with his family.

Why did he ask such a pointless question?

Alberu shook his head, a genuine smile gracing his lips this time. "I think I feel more at home with you and your troublesome brother than back there."

It was true. He liked to think of the pair as a welcome extension to his family, even if they both kept him at arm's reach and never chose complete honesty. Perhaps that distance was most comfortable for Alberu because he did the same.

Cale had a strange expression on his face before he nodded, looking away to hide pink cheeks.

It was complicated. He didn't like the insinuation that he was 'family' to Alberu but he also liked it quite a bit.