Part 60

Eruhaben really wondered at what point his lair had become, well, this.

The young and talented mage Rosalyn had taken to visiting frequently, most especially when Eruhaben took the time to teach Raon. It was the sly way she got around his denial to teach her anything.

He couldn't deny her immense talent. Merely by observing Eruhaben and Raon, she'd been able to grow at an extraordinary rate that made him reconsider at times his refusal to teach her. She was also polite, a genuine respect shining behind her eyes as she learned.

Rosalyn was the ideal student and truly loved magic in a pure way that assured any observer that this pursuit of her dreams fulfilled her every desire.

And Raon was a disrespectful and puckish student who absorbed information at an exceptional rate as well. Lessons that Eruhaben had planned to span over days or weeks would be consumed within only a couple of hours with the lovably adorable dragon asking for more without a hint of exhaustion.

As much as it pained him to admit it as a prideful dragon, Raon's 'parents' had certainly done a good job raising him to be a happy and confident dragon, if not unusually social.

Eruhaben had been ready to let go of his life years ago and he'd accepted his death with the only miserable caveat being that he wasn't able to return properly to nature the way that a dragon ought to. So late in his life and after he'd already accepted his death, Eruhaben wasn't quite prepared to find new reasons to live.

Of course, he was only a copy that would fade once the mana he'd poured in reached its limit and one day soon he'd say goodbye to these chaotic days and finally get some proper rest and relaxation.

Really. He was far too old and dead to be hosting such rambunctious guests on the regular. He definitely didn't have the time or energy to do so.

But he did. And despite his complaints he loved it.

He even enjoyed it when the future king of this gutsy kingdom came to have tea with him. And when the unlucky bastard of a parent showed up with questions or requests that were sure to be troublesome.

The cat tribe children who teased him as they stole cookies and treats and the entourage of people who really didn't seem to have any appropriate respect for the ancient dragon that 'lived' in the capital of Roan Kingdom and all thought of him as some sort of grouchy grandfather.

Eruhaben wouldn't admit how much he enjoyed it but he'd keep his door open for guests and in his final years, Eruhaben found a new sort of peace in welcoming a family into his heart.

"Have you decided on a place for it?"

Roksu leaned against Choi Han's chest as he considered the question from a few different angles. "Yes and no." He said finally.

Choi Han chuckled, wrapping his arms around him and resting his chin against Roksu's head. "Well, we can take our time deciding."

He knew that Roksu wouldn't. The moment that the ridiculous man had made up his mind about where the farm would be planted, they'd already be neck deep in the soil and the project was sure to grow much too ambitious because Roksu would have by then committed himself to the task of providing food for an impoverished village or some other equally ambitious and selfless goal that was sure to be required for Roksu to achieve true peace of mind.

Choi Han had long since accepted this personality flaw within Roksu-nim and he'd decided that he'd just have to spend his life at his side to ensure that he took proper breaks and never got in over his head. Warmth filled his heart and Choi Han lapsed into a companionable silence with the person he loved secured in his arms.