Part 19

Kim Rok Soo was a strange man.

Choi Han was neither gullible nor suspicious by nature, he acted with the information in front of him to find the result that suited his beliefs and goals the best.

This was a trait that has possibly caused many to consider him simple-minded. They were right, he was a very simple person.

Simple was not the same as foolish though.

With straightforward confidence and dedication, Choi Han walked forward. It was a charisma that an author would consider worthy of being a protagonist in any worthwhile novel.

Kim Rok Soo, the mysterious man on the other side of the parchment, was different.

He was indirect and coiling, manipulative and dishonest. And yet, every single instinct inside of Choi Han assured him of one simple truth.

Kim Rok Soo was a good person.

It wasn't just the way he prioritized the safety of those weaker than himself, although that certainly factored in, it was all the seemingly effortless kindness.

<It's been getting cold. We're planning to travel South.>

Within a day, warmer clothes had arrived courtesy of the Flynn merchant guild. Choi Han hadn't actually been cold and neither had the black dragon, their plans had more to do with avoiding risky weather, but the man had sent the clothes nonetheless.

The muffler that could have only been meant for the black dragon was worn proudly by the child whenever there was even a slight chill.

When asked, Kim Rok Soo would make an excuse without fail. Usually something to the degree of this actually being ultimately beneficial to himself and was therefore a selfish action.

What a strange and contrary man.

Choi Han found himself smiling more the more he got to know his mystery benefactor.

And the mystery of Kim Rok Soo was certainly suspicious.

He was a more effective source of information than even famous guilds. His tactical mind always seemed to come up with the optimal solution for any situation that prioritized Choi Han and the black dragon's safety. And he ardently refused any potential for meeting in person.

He was a person that any rational person would consider highly suspicious.

And Choi Han was rational. It was just that before his rationality came his simplicity.

In the simplest possible terms, Kim Rok Soo was a strange but good man. A person who Choi Han felt honored to know.

Awkward kindness and selfish intentions.

Choi Han had to smile. When a person's selfish intentions were to keep others safe it really made a person question how the meaning of the word could be twisted so.

But it was sincerity. Kim Rok Soo wanted to help others for his own peace of mind.

What a respectable yet pure person.

A brusque manner of speaking and a bad attitude. Choi Han chuckled, sitting down to write a response to Kim Rok Soo's latest intel.

That was another convenient matter.

It hadn't taken long into their correspondence for Choi Han to find that they had a mutual enemy in Arm. With Kim Rok Soo's information and connections, Choi Han's seemingly endless battle against the crazy organization had become so much simpler.

It was a relief to be able to rely on someone, even if he'd never seen their face.

"Did the weird human send another message?" The black dragon fluttered near Choi Han's head, peaking curiously at the parchment.