Part 20

The key to Roksu's self destruction was simple. He impulsively pursued his goals with a meticulous eye for what could and couldn't be used.

It was why he disliked working with crazy people. They were difficult to predict or control and therefore were hard to use.

It was Roksu's own strange and kind ambitions that were his achilles heel.

He should have ended the correspondence with Choi Han the night that it had begun. Should have sent the scroll away in the following days and weeks.

Definitely by a year later, he should have never had a word to spare for the swordsman.

But Choi Han was definitely useful. A man who could befriend a dragon and who survived inside of the Forest of Darkness with relative ease? Roksu would be a fool not to recognize the utility of a person so skilled.

Not that he was crazy enough to consider using Choi Han. It was just that if their goals happened to momentarily align, then perhaps he could send the man on an errand or three.

Roksu's second weakness turned strength was definitely that he was a deeply affectionate man.

Even though he didn't recognize the trait in himself, he was the sort of person who couldn't turn a blind eye to injustice. He might walk away and wait until the opportune moment, but he very rarely failed to strike back at a person who'd earned his ire.

And he was just as passionate about protecting those that he was fond of.

Despite his best attempts, Choi Han and the dragon had become people he was fond of.

The dragon had even been learning Korean under Choi Han's tutelage and clumsily wrote to Roksu sometimes. It was strange but it made him happy to know that the dragon was indeed happy and healthy.

Although the dragon stubbornly refused to choose a name for himself for some reason. Choi Han seemed to know the reason but he wouldn't share it. It wasn't really any of Roksu's business but it seemed like a weird hangup to avoid being named.

When it became apparent that Choi Han also wanted to bring an end to Arm and their insidious plots, it was only natural for Roksu to utilize him for a few tasks.

That was the justification he had as to why the correspondence didn't end even after four years.

It made a lot of sense to keep someone as useful as Choi Han working for the betterment of the continent. It had made even more sense to connect Choi Han with now Crown Prince Alberu.

It made sense at the time.

It was just becoming harder and harder to avoid meeting the man in person now that Alberu and Choi Han had developed a friendship.

Choi Han's endlessly impressive strength intermixed with Alberu's tactical mind, it was a foregone conclusion that the two would make a lethal combination for Arm and the White Star. Roksu just hadn't anticipated them actually liking one another. There was an undeniable chemistry between the pair that led to them getting along easily.

Alberu was as guarded as ever and Choi Han was still a rude punk but anyone with eyes could tell that they enjoyed one another's company.

Something that strangely bothered Cale. Roksu wasn't sure why but Cale had exactly zero chemistry with Choi Han. Not that the pair had interacted all that much but Roksu could tell that Cale's disdain for Choi Han was sincere unlike his 'dislike' for Crown Prince Alberu.

Roksu knew better than most that Choi Han was an acquired taste but it was still strange to him that Cale was so against him.

He supposed that if Alberu and Choi Han appeared to be fated friends, Cale and Choi Han gave the impression of fated enemies.