Beginnings

(A/N: I hope my writing is better now than the ones I wrote two years ago!! Also this is set when they are just becoming friends!)

"Jedediah!" Octavius stood on the windowsills, looking down upon the small cowboy.

Jedidiah startled and quickly turned around, looking right to left and then finally up at Octavius. Straightening his hat he peered up at him.

"And that's where you've gone, eh?" Jedediah shifted from side to side, trying to shake the embarrassment of being scared. He was Jedediah Smith, he couldn't be scared, especially not in front of his Roman friend. "Looked all around your exhibit, but you just couldn't wait could ya."

"I would never leave you behind!"

"And yet..." He gestured up at Octavius and then back down to himself lightheartedly, "Seems like I'm down here, huh? Someone left his ol' pal Jedediah behind."

Octavius scoffed and faced away from him, sitting down and peering out the window. He still had trouble talking to Jedediah, they had become friends rather fast and it was strange to see him as friend instead of an enemy. After Larry had shown them they weren't that different (Jedediah took credit for that, said it was because he made Octavius see 'the light'), they had done everything together. Well, after arguing for just a while longer.

The museum had been fun, for the first time in all the time he had been here. He didn't want to admit that.

He heard Jedediah sigh, "How'd you get up there anyway?"

"All by myself, not gonna tell you."

The thing was, after the remote control car he and Jedediah used had broke (and the replacement Larry had bought them broke as well), Octavius realized he was just terrible at talking with Jedediah. The extent of their conversation had been yelling and cheering as they zoomed around in the car. Then they had started being nice to one another. But it felt empty, as they were acting like best friends without really knowing anything about each other. The question was, who would be first to admit it. He knew Jedediah was to stubborn, and Octavius sure as hell wasn't giving in.

It was at that time when Larry walked by, most likely on his way to see Akmanrah. After some quick not so polite begging, Larry sighed and placed Jedediah carefully onto the windowsill next to Octavius.

"Okay, ya know what." Jedediah sat with his legs dangling off the edge while Octavius still sat facing the window. "Neither of us is gonna say it, so I guess it's gotta be me."

Octavius felt his stomach jump. He turned to face Jedediah, did he accidentally say all of that out loud?

"Now why are you looking at me with big eyes, it's not anything bad?" Jedediah ran his fingers through his hair. Maybe because- Nah.

"I'm not looking at you with 'big eyes'! I'm being polite!" Octavius tilted his head away from the cowboy, looking out the window for the second time. His cheeks were slightly tinged red, not that him or Jedediah would mention it.

"You were not bein polite before, partner!" Jedediah laughed slightly and crossed his arms, "Why the sudden urge to?"

Octavius looked back up at him, "Oh, shut up, partner." He grinned and began to finally settle down.

"Anyway." Jedediah shifted from side to side, "I guess I just- uh. Wanted to get to know you a bit better?"

Look at the two of them. Octavius smiled and looked away from Jedediah again. His eyes stayed downcast for a second before he looked back up at the cowboy.

"Yeah. That would be nice." Octavius was already looking forward to knowing Jedediah better. Maybe the extent of their conversations would become more than awkward small talk. Neither knew what to really expect

Octavius realized that was the beauty of it.

(A/N: Woo!! I've had that half finished for a while, and I finally got the push to finish it! Hope y'all liked it haha)