49 | rule 151

RULE 151: THE BORDER HAS FALLEN, THE AFOREMENTIONED RULES ARE NO MORE.

E P I L O G U E

    "Are you ready?" Theo asked, coming up behind me, his body pressed into mine. My hand ran over his thigh as I exhaled happily. He lightly planted a kiss in the crook of my neck before turning me around, our lips connecting.

    I pulled away, "we can't."

    His eyes widened, teasingly. "I think we can."

    "It'll mess up my makeup," I playfully smacked Theo on the shoulder, but Theo leaned in. "Theo!"

    "I like it when you say my name like that," his fingers ran through my hair.

    "Theo!" I exclaimed again, this time in a slightly more agitated tone, not wanting my freshly washed and styled hair to get disheveled.

    Huffing, I turned away from him, smoothing down my dress. I was wearing a white, lace gown. It was passed down from generation to generation in Theo's family. Every Luna for the past one hundred years had worn this dress, and I would be the next.

    After taking charge of helping the Borderlanders assimilate into society, I accepted my rightful place next to Theo. Baring his mark meant we would no longer be able to hide our connection. As a result, there was an official announcement shortly after, and then the planning for the Luna Ceremony quickly began.

    Throughout the planning, I wondered: would Pa be proud of me? He hated the supernatural with every fiber of his being, but I knew if he saw the person I was today, he would be proud. Gran and Pop assured me of it. While my family had a hard time erasing a lifetime of brainwashing, they gradually were able to see that the Outside was not as the Council had wanted us to see it as.

    Slowly but surely, the remaining Borderlanders were beginning to heal from the hurt and pain caused by the Borderland ways. The wound was healing, but the scar left behind would never fade away. The Council paying for their sins was a healing step. They were imprisoned for life – death would have been too kind.

    While Ma had been right about the Borderlands all along, I had not been able to forgive her for abandoning Pa and me, not that she seemed to be contrary to the idea. She built a life and family without us, and she seemed content to keep believing I was dead to her. She believed this to the point Theo said she requested to transfer to a different pack. I told him to let her go. She would always be my Ma but would no longer be my family.

    In truth, I was ready to let her go. I still had Gran, Pop, Auntie, and Uncle. On Top of that, I had Theo, Mina, Max, Flynn, Heath, Memphis, Gracie, and Ember who were all by my side and supportive. They were my real family.

    Reflecting on the journey to get where I was today – moments before my Luna Ceremony – I carefully removed the smudged lipstick on my chin.

    Turning around, my eyes bulged. "What are you doing?"

    Theo was down on one knee, a box in his hand. "Sage, this past year has not been easy – for either of us. You have given up so much to get where you are today. You've lost your home, your Pa, your way of life. Not to mention, we've partaken in my traditions, and now, it's time to partake in some of yours. Will you do me the honor of marrying me, Sage Whitmore?"

    Voice shaking, I did not hesitate in saying, "yes. A million times yes."

    Theo carefully slid the elegant diamond across my ring finger. Reaching out to cup his face, I exhaled, "I love you, Theo Sloan, and don't you forget it."

    Tonight, I would become his Luna, and soon, I would be his wife.

    THE END.

Thank you all so much for reading Beyond the Border. I can't believe it has come to an end. Originally, I planned for it to be about 25 chapters. I just wanted a shortish story I could write since I had never been able to complete a story before (not for a lack of trying, though). But, this story took a life of its own. I actually started writing BTB sometime in 2020, but then took a long break from writing only a couple months later after having published 9 chapters. Then, in 2022, I came back to finish up this story so it has been a long time coming lol. 

With that said, this is only a first draft so there's definitely room for improvement. Maybe one day I will polish this story up.

If you're interesting in continuing on with this universe I created, then you can read my new story, Beyond the Curtain. While it is not a sequel, some of the characters in the book will make an appearance.