7. make it official

"So what movie did you guys see?" Kate asked. "The Haunting," Maddie said. "Ooo. How romantic" Kate laughed.

"Shut up. I love that movie" Maddie laughed. The entire chemistry class was waiting outside for Harris to let them on the bus.

"It's freezing. What the hell is taking so long?" Kate asked, rubbing her arms together. "Harris is probably just doing this on purpose since he loves to torture us" Maddie sighed pulling her jacket tighter around her arms.

"Hey," Derek said as he came over and wrapped his arm around her. She smiled at him as Harris started shouting that they could finally get on the bus.

"Finally" Maddie huffed, pulling Kate towards the front. "Maddie, wait!" Derek called as the girls turned around.

"Where are you going?" he asked. "To get on the bus," she said like it was obvious. "What, you don't want to sit with your boyfriend?" he asked.

"I would love to. If I had one" she laughed and turned walking on with Kate. Derek stood there stunned having completely thought the two were together after last night.

By the time he got on the bus all the seats around Maddie and Kate had been taken as he was forced to sit near the front.

He tried to never listen to her conversations but now he couldn't help it. "You're going to the formal with Grayson?" she asked. "Yeah. He asked me yesterday" Kate said.

"I thought you weren't into him," Maddie laughed. "It's one night not marriage. So who are you going with?" Kate asked. "I don't know yet," she said.

Derek sat with a confused expression on his face. He assumed he and Maddie were going together. "You're not going with Derek?" Kate asked. "Well he hasn't asked me so no. And if he doesn't soon I'm going to end up going with one of Tristan's jarhead friends" she groaned.

Kate looked up and could tell Derek was listening in to their conversation. "I'm sure he'll ask you soon," she said as the bus drove off.

Derek leaned back in his seat not knowing how he could be so stupid. He and Maddie had grown so close over the past month that he almost forgot she was the most popular girl in their school.

She probably had more than a dozen guys trying to ask her to the formal and even more trying to be her boyfriend. When the bus pulled up to the science museum everyone was quick to rush out.

"Remember to take notes! You all have a report due on Monday" Harris called out and rolled his eyes as all the teenagers ignored him.

Maddie and Kate walked in their arms locked together. "Guess who moved back into town?" Kate asked. "Who?" Maddie asked as they walked down the museum halls.

"Becca's older sister Trina. The one who got pregnant last year" Kate said. "Shut up! I thought her parents sent her to some teen mom reform school in Washington" Maddie scoffed.

"Well apparently they wanted to be a part of their grandchild's life so they had her come back. Speaking of which, do you think that Larissa is going to the party tonight?" Kate asked.

"Probably. Maybe she thinks if people see her drinking it'll dispel any baby rumors" Maddie laughed. "Maddie! Hey, can I talk to you?" Derek asked running up to the two girls.

"What is it?" she asked. Derek just smiled as he got down on one knee in front of her. "Derek. What the hell are you doing?" she hissed as Kate laughed from behind her.

Other students walking around them had stopped and were all staring at them. "Madelyn Martin. Would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" he asked. "Are you insane? Get up!" she said.