13. birthday

Derek woke up to the sun shining brightly down on his face through the curtains. He groaned as he rolled over, extending his arm out to hold onto Maddie but frowned when he wasn't there.

"Morning, sleeping beauty" Maddie laughed walking out of her bathroom and over to the bed. "What time is it?" he asked, still groggy as she reached down to press a kiss to his cheek. "It's time for you to get up. Breakfast is almost ready" she said.

It was only then that he realized she was fully dressed. "Breakfast?" he asked. "Mmm-hmm. Birthday breakfast. It's tradition" she said, swiping her lipstick on as she looked in her vanity mirror.

Derek thought to himself and realized it did sound vaguely familiar. Usually, it was something he was never invited to since Maddie used to hate him. Or just strongly dislike him.

Family only he remembered her saying. "Willow and Tristan are with my mom and Lydia downstairs. Hurry and get dressed. We'll be waiting" she smiled before leaving the room.

It didn't take long for him to get ready and when he walked downstairs he saw everyone waiting for him like she said.

Maddie smiled as she patted the chair next to him. "Where's Kate?" Natalie asked. Everyone grew silent and Willow shook her head.

Seeming to get the picture Natalie cleared her throat. "Shame. Well, if she won't be joining us then I guess we should all dig in" she said.

"Not yet, mom. Our guests aren't here yet" Maddie smiled. "Guest? What guest?" she asked, looking at Tristan, Willow, and Derek who only shook their heads.

Maddie perked up as the doorbell rang. "That's them!" she said excitedly before rushing off to get the door.

Everyone at the table looked at each other wondering who their mystery guest could be. Maddie had a strict family only rule and she wasn't one for breaking rules set by herself.

They all looked as she walked in and took her seat back next to Derek. "Mom?" he asked looking up as Talia, his sisters, and Peter walked in. "Have a seat! We were just about to eat" Maddie smiled, gesturing to the empty seats around the table.

"Mom, Lydia. This is Derek's family. His mother, Talia, sisters Laura and Cora, and his uncle Peter. Hales, this is my mother, Natalie and sister Lydia. I'm sure you're already familiar with Tristan and Willow" she said.

"Of course. And again Happy Birthday. We all really appreciate you inviting us over for breakfast" Talia smiled. "It's lovely to meet you. It's been a while since we've had anyone else for Madelyn's birthday breakfast" Natalie said.

"You do this every year?" Laura asked, looking at the enormous spread of food across the table. "It's tradition. And it's very exclusive. Family only. My parents, my sister and other half Lydia. My two best friends Tristan and Willow who've been coming to birthday breakfast since 7th grade. And now, my love, Derek and his family" she smiled resting a hand on Derek's thigh.

"What about your dad?" Peter asked, a smirk on his face as the room grew silent. As he heard her heartbeat rise Derek grabbed Maddie's hand under the table, not letting go despite the pain coming from the heat in her hands.

"My dad couldn't attend this year's soiree due to an...unforeseen circumstance," she said. "And Kate? Isn't she one of your best friends too?" he asked.

"Kate is no longer a friend of ours and will not be in attendance this year or any year for the foreseeable future," Maddy said her grip on Derek's hand tightening.

"Well regardless, we're honored to be invited," Talia said glaring at Peter. "Why don't we all dig in. Before the food gets cold" Natalie smiled as everyone nodded and took turns passing around the various plates of food.