Battle Plans

Destiny was astonished, to say the least, to see an elf hanging by a thread attached to a harpy.

Phadia and Yasmin were standing behind her and their mouths dropped when they saw it.

"Joshua! What are you doing?" Phadia yelled.

The elf just laughed. "What does it look like I'm doing. I'm flying!"

Two more harpies were flying ahead of him. They landed in front of Destiny.

The Empress could see their names in their hearts. She called them, "Kryo, Cerux you've come... to protect me."

It wasn't a question. She was simply surprised. Harpies weren't known for protecting people.

Joshua didn't want to be a burden anymore. He released the string he was grasping and landed on his butt. 

"Joshua, have you come to my defence too." Destiny said jokingly. Of course, she knew exactly why he had come; she was only teasing. She stepped aside to let Phadia speak with her friend.

"Joshua did you... did you tie a rope around that harpy just to find me?"

Joshua blushed. "I... I guess I did."

Phadia giggled. "That's the craziest thing I've ever seen you do.

Joshua wasn't sure what to think about that. He had never been called crazy before.

Before he could even react, Razu stepped in front of him. He wanted to speak with the Empress. "Your majesty, I heard that monsters were sent to Trelis to devour you. We can darken the skies and confuse them; we can strike them with lightening before they have the chance."

The Empress glared at the eldest brother. "Razu..." she said slowly. She could see his entire past and it shocked her more than the news of The Brothers. "You've done many horrible things, Razu. Even if I couldn't see any of it, I would still assume it takes a lot for a harpy to be banished."

Razu scowled. He didn't like where this was going. But then the Empress surprised him.

"Don't be angry at me. I'm not going to send you away. You came here to help us, didn't you?"

The harpy nodded.

"I've been speaking with these elves for a while and I've decided on a strategy. I have given Phadia, Yasmin and Francis my masks. They will be the new defenders of Trelis. And so will you Joshua – come here!"

The brown-haired elf took a step closer. He felt like a filthy pest standing before her majesty in his dusty patched up shirt.

"You want Phadia to be a defender... and me too."

Phadia showed Joshua the gift Destiny gave her. She put the blue and gold mask over her nose and transformed. Joshua's mouth dropped when he saw the fox.

"You'll have a mask just like that," said the Empress. "You'll become so quick and your eyes and ears will be able to sense The Brothers before they do any harm." She turned to her pixie servants once more. "Bring me the silver mask."

The pixies unlocked the secret door in the palace and returned with a mask that was deep green with silver edges.

"This is for you Joshua." Destiny took the mask and handed it to the young boy. "It is the Mask of Loyalty. I'm rewarding you this because I know you will find your friends and save them no matter what it takes. You were determined to find Phadia and Yasmin while those dryads gave up. It may seem small now but I know one day you will do greater things. Because you are a good friend."