The Last Brother

Another viscous storm was brewing in the sky. Razu and his brothers circled the battlefield (which was parted from the rest of Trelis by some hills) their wings made wind that tossed the elves' hair from down below. The thunder seemed to be coming from their beaks and the clouds sprung up from the atmosphere with their magic.

No one understood how the harpies made storms but it was a sight to behold nonetheless.

Phadia hated their storms but if it helped to confuse their enemies and save her people, she though she might marry Razu after the battle.

The fauns aimed their sling shots and raised their battle axes.

Phadia, Joshua, Yasmin and Francis wore their masks and stood on either side of the line of fauns. The fauns were surprised to see them transform into animals but they kept their eyes on the hills ahead; the place the harpies were making their storm; the place where The Brothers had been spotted.

The Dance was a day and a half away – they wouldn't let anybody ruin it.

It was getting darker. Droplets of rain landed on their shoulders. The harpies' storm was coming to them.

Phadia and Joshua were standing beside eachother. They bared their teeth. They knew what was coming next.

The second the fauns saw one of the monsters' ugly faces rise up over the hills they lunged forward and threw their stones. Some of them caught the rocks in their teeth and spat them out. Others weren't so lucky. The pebbles made dents in their foreheads. As big as they were they weren't immune to the shear velocity of flying stones.

It might sound strange but the elves that had transformed felt a little confident when they saw just how huge their attackers were. Phadia reassured herself that beasts that big couldn't possibly be as nimble as a fox or a wolf.

The ground was getting muddier by the second. No problem for the fauns and their hooves. The elves didn't have to worry either, their tough paws were basically made for unpleasant terrain. I'm not so sure how Francis was doing in his peacock form though.

Carlo didn't have any advantages. He hid underneath the tree branches and tried to block out the sound of The Brothers howls and hisses. He may have gotten them all together to fight but there wasn't much he could do now.

Despite numerous injuries, their attackers were all scrambling up the hill hungry for more. When Phadia saw this, she charged straight at them. She felt a little scared at first but whenever one of them swung his claws at her she always dogged it.

Destiny was right about her fox form being quick.

Yasmin had been hovering over the hills the whole time. Whenever she saw an opening to strike, she would pivot towards The Brothers and claw them in the face or shoulders.

It didn't do a lot of damage, they had extremely thick skin however, it made them hold still long enough for the fauns to launch stones and hit them.

Joshua was much bigger than Phadia in his wolf form. He wasn't as nimble but his bite was stronger. When he saw one of the beasts swing his long lizard-like tail at Phadia he chewed a piece out of it. He howled.

If any one of them got too close several fauns would step up to the beast and swing at it with their battle axes.

Joshua saw this happen to four of them. One beast lost its fowl head when Memphis jumped in the air and plunged his axe down hard. Another lost an arm and a foot and died on his knees. The other two suffered fatal injuries to the chest. The grass was soon covered in dark brown stains.