The Surprise Birthday

I woke up feeling really excited in the morning. The sun was shining through my window and I could hear birds chirping. It was amazing! I went into my walk-in closet and saw a wonderful birthday outfit ready for me. I was fourteen now so no more princess gowns but this was a very beautiful mini dress.

I got dressed immediately and went downstairs while sniffing the air as it smelled of caramel and maple. I soon figured out mom had made waffles and pancakes, my favorite breakfast! I kissed her cheek and enjoyed my meal. A few minutes later, my best friend, Quinn called me inviting me for a picnic in the park with some other friends of mine as well.

I told mom about it and then went to the white horse hills which were a ten minutes bike ride from my house. As soon as I got off my bike, my friends wished me a happy birthday and I blushed! It was flattering to get so much attention. "So...Nikki have you planned anything special for today?" Asked Ava.

"Nope, I don't know, I want to have a party but dad won't be home until two days after so I guess this is it" I shrugged and the rest of them frowned. "What?!! You can't even celebrate your fourteen years??!!" Quinn exclaimed and I chuckled nervously.

The picnic went great. The food that Quinn's mom had packed for us was just deliciously mouth watering and it included sweet jam tarts, muffins and donuts as well as sandwiches and other refreshments. Quinn and I rode home together.

I tried to open the door of my house but it won't move at all so I decided to ring the bell which echoed in the silence of our front yard. It's been really quite since my dog, wacky died.  I was quite astonished when the door automatically opened and Quinn literally screamed the daylights out of me and ran to hide behind an oak tree.

I stepped inside while poor white faces Quinn was whispering me to not go. It was all dark inside, oh no this can't be happening today especially when it's my birthday I thought to myself. "Mom? Mom? Are you home?" I shouted to see if there was anybody there. Then suddenly the lights turned on and I saw everybody with balloons and a cake in front of me wishing me a happy birthday.

I was so happy! Quinn saw the scene and entered the house, chuckling nervously. The ceremony went great. We took a few pictures and then it was finally time to eat since it was 7 am. And then I also got to open my presents. Mom got me a whole new craft box and another surprise which was dad, he was back and that I wasn't supposed to know until I'm opening my presents.

After all the presents were opened, we heard a door bell outside. "I'll get it!" Quinn said, and being obedient she approached to open the door. "It's a parcel!" She shouted from the door. Mom and I walked there to see a huge parcel that was about 3 feet tall and it said a label that was for me.

"But who got this for you??" Mom asked. "I dunno, I suppose we should open it and see what happens?" I suggested and Quinn helped me carry it to the living room as it was pretty heavy for only me to carry.