Chapter 2

I had to take a full week off work. I couldn't say the truth. Because as if Margret was going to believe that I Summer Davis was at a motorcycle clubhouse and got involved in a fight. Yeah, it was easier to say the flu. But with each step I take, I am reminded of that night.

The library had a full digital system. It intends for the process to be easy, so checking books in wasn't hard. However. When they came back. I would not let that be automated. Margret told me from the start if I want to really check every book that is returned, she isn't paying me more nor is she having any involvement in it.

I insisted on checking the books. The condition and then naturally organising the shelves. Pixie once said I have an addiction when it comes to books and needed a medical assessment. But didn't every-one just need the books to be laid out in clear alphabet order?

My system made sure when a reader looks a book up on the computer it is in the exact place where it belongs.

I am currently inspecting the latest of returns. The frustration I feel knowing the temp worker would have put my books back on shelves unorganised and unchecked, felt like a violation.

I feel someone approach the desk. But my attention is more on the history novel that has been returned with a rip title page.

I glance up, then my eyes remain on to him. Jack Johnston as I live in a breath. After Fletcher made that remark about knowing Jack from social media headlines. I did some research. My first guess of him being a mob boss had been correct.

Makes sense he is deep in the criminal underworld. He is Tyson Wilson's cousin.

"Can I help you?" I ask the question polite but I'm direct. The fact was a man like him wouldn't use a state public library.

"Just wondering," he spoke as he steps to the desk so casually.

"About?"

"Maybe I'm wondering why a woman with two degrees and a masters is working at a library?"

Looks like we both had down some research on each other. Though he wouldn't of simply being able to use google. I didn't even have one social media profile.

I place the ruined book down. "Maybe I'm wondering why a notorious mob boss is in a state library. Holding up the checkout cue."

No one is standing behind him. But if there was someone, he would be holding them up. That my logic.

He does a scan of the basic empty library and then looks back at me.

"Clearly I'm holding a lot of people up."

"You are, so if I can't help you. I bid you goodbye."

I bid you goodbye.

What the fuck Summer! I turn so quickly and rush off. That history romance I read over the weekend caused that word vomit.

I bid you goodbye? I cringe.

Thank the universe I am now disappearing into the aisles of the library with my cart to put the books away. Hopefully he will leave. Let's face it he did leave, most likely laughing. I'm surprised slightly I hadn't heard the rumblings of his laughter from the library.

I begin to feel peace as I reach my section. Until I look at the disorganization of the books. I knew that temp worker would ruin everything. I empty the entire shelve on the ground and begin to fix the mess. I don't even care if this takes me hours.

Fast forward an hour I'm sitting on the floor surrounded by book towers. I place another one in it rightly pile. Each book that goes back to genre and sub-genre gives me peace.