nine.

Chronology of 2022, stolen glances, frequent unintentional stares, the profound yearning that struck each other's souls, hearts chained in a rusty cage, freedom of being together is forbidden, and backstage encounters at rallies that brought back flashbacks.

Wasn't it obvious that you didn't even notice? It was the most simple thing, but you can't seem to return it.

Leni's success was Risa's achievement. Every time Risa attended a sortie or rally of the Leni-Kiko tandem, with the participation of senatorial candidates, crowd estimates ranging from 50K-100K plus, volunteers, endorsements from ordinary or extraordinary Filipinos, seeing them all supporting Leni for the country's win—it was evident in her eyes, it screamed honored and venerable.

She is proud of the strongest and bravest woman she has ever known, and she has shown this to hundreds of people. She was Leni's most ardent supporter out of all those engaged with her.

There was not a time that Risa got disappointed in Leni nor hide grief towards her after what she'd previously done. She may have moved one from now; after all, decades have passed and it is already 2022. She learned to let go of the misery she was harboring and to focus on her desire to serve her nation.

✎...

"VP?" Risa called out to Leni as she lightly tapped her shoulders. She noticed Leni was staring at something or spacing out. Leni straightened her back and coughed. "You appear to be distracted...penny for thoughts?" Risa asked, taking a seat near her to relax her legs from standing.

The two were alone at a table backstage, however, staff was present around them, respecting their privacy alone. Regardless of the stillness that existed between them, this level of closeness was not awkward. Leni dozed off to reality once again and asked, "Ahh wala, you're still wearing that pink leathered band?"

Risa then realized what Leni was looking at and, perplexed, replies, "Yes, why?" In response, Leni shrugged and continued to stare at Risa's wrist, where the band was tangled. Risa opened her phone out of boredom to check her Instagram, where her followers had mentioned her in their stories.

Leni, on the other hand, reflected on Risa's consistency. It wasn't the pink leathered band she wore from the outset of the campaign season; it was Risa's consistent support over the years they met. Despite their friendship reaches a crossroads and failing after she ghosted her, Risa considered and understood her situation and continued to support her.

Bigla ko lang naiisip, dapat ba niya ako supportahan? Pagkatapos kong ipagtabuyan at iwanan sa halip na pagmamahal na binigay sa'kin, am I worth deserving her support?

Risa's unending loyalty and faithfulness were present before her husband's death. Even after they reconnected in the early 2010s, elections period. Her sense of remorse and disdain for herself was insufficient to allow her to explain her backstory. She didn't even attempt to apologize or bring up what she hadn't revealed yet. More problems arose as a result of the lack of communication, which was postponed for several years.

✎...

"Good afternoon...Leo—attorney Leni," Risa hesitantly greeted her, she was still fascinated by what Leni has become today, except now that she was facing her for the first time in 28 years. "No need to be formal with me...The—Risa." Someone save these two from the deafening silence forming between them.

Risa was attempting to compose herself down as she felt her eyes burn, almost letting a tear escape. Jesse escorted Leni out of the hall to meet with other officials, and the couple was both adored by the spectators. She gazed at them, a lovely smile tinged with pain. Their marriage bond reminded her of Frank when he was still breathing, but it reminded her more when the day she first laid her eyes on Leni, her Leonor.